New fish wont eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a friend who recently boought some clowns and they wont eat. Is this beacause they are now getting accustomed to their environment?

How long have they been in and how did you acclimate? Stress from being moved can cause fish not to eat. They will come around.

Good questions above. I soak my frozen in garlic extreme. It seems to stir up a feeding frenzy and is also said to help boost their immune systems.

Could she boil garlic and use the juice to soak the flakes????

No need to boil. Many LFS out there sell garlic products. Any garlic oil or even garlic juice from crushed garlic will work. I dont use garlic but I know many that do.

Well one of the clowns are gone. Before they went they were at the bottom of the tank breathing heavily what could be the problem. I told her a water change maybe necessary.

Yup I told her do a 10% today and another 10% tommorow.

How did she acclimate the fish? That was asked and is probably the biggest part of the equation. I am not sure why a water change is needed at this time unless you know there are water quality issues. And just to clarify..if there is water quality issues, 10% wont do squat as for making a difference.

She told me she floated the bag for about an hour then released them. She tried feeding them then to realize they won't eat.

she floated the bag for about an hour then released them.
That is most likely the problem. SW animals need to adjust to a few water chemistry parameters, not just temperature. A drip acclimation works great, and is easy to do, at achieving this. Here is a link describing the procedure- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=18
Has the tank been cycled properly? Have the water parameters been checked to be certain evrything is good?

I agree that the acclimation method is likely the root of stress.

Back
Top Bottom