Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2003, 07:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

O.K. I found the following quote concerning Clean-up Crew amounts from another thread on this forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefLady
I'd tend to shy away fro "overstocking" a cleaner crew - often they'll starve if there are too many.

I like to aim for approximately .5 - 1 per gallon - you can always add more if need be.

Nassarius are great DSB stirrers, and will readily pop up to grab any tank food that hits the bottom, so they are easily fed if need be.

There is no harm in adding a cleaner crew "all at once" - but always aim for the shy side as far as numbers, and I'd look toward a good mix of snails, and less crabs.

JMO!
Hope this helps!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com
NaH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would not put a starfish in your tank at this stage of the game. They are highly sensitive critters and any major swing in tank chemistry is typically deadly. Let your tank mature for quite some time.

Chocolate chips are not reef safe to a large degree and you might want to add corals later.

Old 11-04-2003, 07:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, MantisFreak for your starfish clarification. I had a lot going through my brain at the time, I forgot to add that. I also wanted to add that it may be too soon for the shrimp, since you have tap water in the tank. I'd wait a while on those until you've had a few water changes. They are also sensitive to impurities in the tank.

As far as finding clean-up crews, you can check the online vendors. They usually have a variety.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com
NaH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have astreas and they really tear the diatoms off the live rock. just need some nassarius snails now for my dsb.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to trk1616
OK, so the consesus is probably not a star fish and/or shrimp yet....though you guys got me kind of excited getting something new like that.

Couple Questions:
-Is diatom the algea?
-How deep does the sand have to be to be considered a deep sand bed? I'd guess I have 3-4 inches of sand.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Relax a little,

Even if you do EVERYTHING right from the start, during the cycle and shortly after the cycle you will still wish you never entered this hobby. However, it gets better.

Diatom's are not algae but they are still a pain. Since you didn't set up with RO/DI water, you likely have some silicates in your water column. They are now eating up your silicates and will die off once they are gone unless you keep adding more silicates. (Hence, Nikki's recommendation to use RO/DI water).

Regarding your second question, how much does a woodchuck chuck, if it could chuck wood? No one know for sure----experiments are going on all over the place on this issue. I would say with 3-4 inches, you are golden. Give it some time and see if you have air bubbles against your glass. If you do, then you have a DSB. To get the full benefit of a DSB, make sure you add some movers and shakers. Nassarius snails, bristle worms, etc.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com