New guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes it is, bio cubes are really made for saltwater setups. It's a great beginner size but bigger is always better. :Welcome: to AA!

Okay just making sure I got the right tank...I set it up on February 15 and I'm pretty sure it's going through the cycle and I have brown algae all over my live rock and glass...could I add snails and crabs and shrimp right now or should I wait till the tank is completely done with the cycle?

I would wait the brown algae is normal part of cycle.. I would wait a month to add anything..

I always started mine off the bat at every 2 weeks, some may say different but I never had any issue with it. it will help with that algae also so you can clean it up.. are you using ro or ro/di water?

Idek lol I'm new to this whole salt water thing...I'm using the saltwater from petco

ok its prob ro water..i would make sure it is when you do your next change. it may be worth while and save you some money to purchase your own ro/di unit. they are not that expensive and I am funny about buying water. if you have your own unit you know when the filters are changed and you always have the water... and im assuming your using reg tap water to top off?

ro is just reverse osmosis and ro/di is reverse osmosis deionized water.. you can youtube it bulk reef supply sells good units and they have a some good youtube info on it.. if you decide to get one you can message me and ill walk you threw the set up.. its real easy

you can also look up some videos on how to make a basic mixing station and hook your ro/di water rite to it... you always want one with reg ro or ro/di water to top off with, other wise your salt levels will sky rocket because salt does not evaporate with the water, then you use your salt mix with water changes

Definitely start using ro-di water, using tap will only lead to algea problems. Sounds like you're not testing your water? Pick up a liquid test kit so you can see where you are in the cycle. Did you use an ammonia source to begin or just the live rock? Either way you should e able to test your own water when you need to :)

I have a 20g freshwater tank and I have a API freshwater testing kit but idk if that will work for my saltwater tank...will it? And I have 30lbs of live rock

what I would do is test the water with a saltwater test kit and see whats happing... if every thing is good I would drop a piece of shrimp or a cap of ammonia in just to make sure it has cycled

Okay thank you so much...idk if this is bad but I am inpatient and I bought a shrimp last week and put him in there...do you think the little guy will die through the cycle?

well don't put ammonia in or frozen shrimp in for sure now... I would say it prob doesn't have a good chance and would have started with a chromis or damsel instead... 10 days for a saltwater tank is not enough time for a cycle, but who knows maybe the little guy will survive

Okay...I hate that I'm so impatient! Lol I just wanna put some fish or something in there!

I was the same way.. I learned real fast that it cost to much money to be impatient. pretty much everything in saltwater is patients to so it will be a learning experience but its an sweet hobby and I really enjoy it

Back
Top Bottom