New Guy, New Guy Problems, and Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some water makers also come w/float attachments also that make water for your resovior also based on need only. I'd guess one for the maker and one for the topper would be the ideal.

Some water makers also come w/float attachments also that make water for your resovior also based on need only. I'd guess one for the maker and one for the topper would be the ideal.

-- That of course is the ideal, but I cant do that. My tank is not close enough to plumbing to have the ro/di go right to the tank. The storage container on the RO/DI does have a storage container and auto shut off however. Ill have the RO/DI set up in the laundry room, and then have to carry the water to the tank. However, at least if I can find a way to fit this unit, filling the fresh water resovior with 10 gals will still save a lot of time and also keep the salt levels constant. Im all about saving time with the fresh water replenishment:)
Im still looking around for other set ups, but it seems that this is the only one I can find that doesnt involve a direct source to the water supply, and comes with resevior tank.

Baxter5 said:
My tank is not close enough to plumbing to have the ro/di go right to the tank.
If this is a first floor installation, and you have an open rafter basement, it shouldn't be difficult to thread the flexible RO output line through the basement to the room it's needed in. There are several suppliers of spare hose on e-bay.

Its a 3rd floor installation, with cathedral ceilings. (dont worry, I made sure that it was safe for the weight of the tank).

I cant even get away with running a hose behind furniture, there is a doorway opening between the tank and the kitchen, and the kitchen is of the open "bar" kind. Ill just have to live with it for the next couple years until I move into a house - then Ill run everything through the basement and space will no longer be an issue.

Hmmm, wonder if this is why

Well, Im happy to report that the skimmer is finally working right, and as a results the bubbles are not really a problem anymore.

I put the Shrimp in yesterday, still 0 Amonia, 0 Nitrate, 0 Nitrite.

Then I realized that the water conditioner I used to "help" the tap water says that it removes Amonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites. Although the container says it does not interfere with the biological cycle, I wonder if it would be enough to keep these levels so low that the cycle never starts.

Any thoughts? Think that water conditioner could be prohibiting the cycle from starting?

I have big water changes in my future.

What kind of ammonia test kit are you using? Most of those conditioners don't really "remove" ammonia, but rather detoxify it. The Ammonia Alert test will test only the more toxic form of ammonia, but the liquid reagent tests test total ammonia, not just free ammonia. If you have 0 total ammonia, then the conditioner didn't hurt anything. 0 free ammonia could be related to the conditioner.

Id have to wait to get home to check the what "kind" of test kit. It was package test kit for Amonia, PH, Nitrate, and Nitrite. They are tests that consist of adding various drops of "test solution" into a water sample test tube if this is what you mean as "liquid reagent".

I purchased 24 gallons of distilled water from Walmart last night so I can do a water change as the ro/di unit wont be here until next week. No more tap water and water conditioners for me:)

Ill be patient with the shrimp to take a few days to show an effect, however I only added them as extra measure, I really expected all the pre-used live rock and sand to show some kind of signal sooner, and there was that dead snail that was decent size and has been "rotting" for 5 days. Water has now been in the tank for 9 days.

Thanks again, all the reading and research doesnt compare to advice from people who have done it. One day Ill be the one offering advice here:) I hope other newbs like me find useful info on this thread, it seems non-traditional problems are attracted to me:)

I'd bet you are cycled. The shrimp will prove it. That test kit likely tests total ammonia, you're likely in the clear.

That would be great, lucky me..... I dont want to get my hopes up yet though. Ill be watching the shrimp in anticipation:)

Back
Top Bottom