Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Its had water now for 7 days, and I will begin some serious water changing as soon as I get my RO/DI. Ill try a shrimp tonight too.

Fish, well I have a general idea of a community tank with some corals, maybe anemone, ect.... My rough plan is to start inexpensive and hearty until I become more experienced, and then go for some more exotic things.

I havent really come up with a more specific plan becuase I thought I would have at least 6 weeks while the tank cycled to do some research. I can only hope that Im lucky enough to start earlier, but it means overtime on the fish research department. For example, I was really impressed with the snowflake eel at the LFS, but then I started reading about it and I am concerned that since it can grow up to 2 feet that it might very much limit the quanity of fish I can keep for space reasons. Also read that they like to eat crustations, so I might have to give up on the eel idea if its only going to result in getting expensive colorful crabs or other good looking "cleaning crew" served as dinner for him. Ive got a lot more research to do on what kind of fish I will target, right now I only have a mental picture of what I want it to look like. Id like to have a lot of visual diversity in the tank, but at the same time I dont want them eating eachother and I want them to be happy.

I see reef tanks with a large amount of rock, like mostly all about the reef, and then others which are FOWLR, that dont have a lot of rock and leave more room for more fish. I am hoping to try to build something in between the two, even if it means an additional filtration system to allow for the tank only being half filled with live rock. The lights I have should support any kind of coral. 3 x 250w MH/ 1 white light 20k and 2 blues. So the coral or anenome choices would revolve around level of maintenance, eye candy, and compatability. I am prepared to spend the appropriate costs for better choices - Im not rich or anything but cost wont be an factor for stocking (except of course the cost of stock that dies because I made a newb mistake) so I plan on doing it slowly and intelligently as possible - and allowing for my own experience to develop with the tank.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

A tang, 3 blue green chromis, a midas blenny, citron goby, neon goby, watchman (shrimp) goby, mandarin - after a year, a pair of clowns, coral banded shrimp, cleaner shrimp, blood red shrimp, assorted hermits, and snails, starfish ..... Oh darn it, I'm doing it again - trying to make everyone's tank look like mine!!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #13

LOL

I need a trained snowflake midget vegetarian eel that only eats what he is supposed to and wont grow bigger than a foot

After that, a trained stingray that eats flake food.

Then after I can put in all the damsels and "pretty" stuff knowing that they will all be friends
Old 02-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The anemone can probably go in after your water has been stable for 6 months.

I'd avoid the damsesels, they can be mean.

If you want alot of variety, stick with the smaller community fish. Clowns, Blennies, Gobies, are likely options to start with, as well as a large variety of crabs and shrimp. The 90 should even be large enough to support a fighting conch. Maybe one larger centerpiece fish, but have to choose carefully someone that is an herbavore and will not be tempted to snack on his smaller tankmates.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:21 AM   #15

Here are teh additional pictures.

Here is my sump, it might be kind of hard to see, the overflow from the Main tank is the pipe on the left, then the skimmer (still overflowing), then at the Oceanic emblem is where the sump is divided and the water flows under teh class to the submerged return pump (right) with the hose attached to it.

Here is the newly established brown substance all over the sand and rock:

I went to the LFS today and picked up a filter bag, I put it over the return intake and also adjusted the rate of the overflow from the main tank a bit. It seemed to help a bit, I am interested to see how much it will help to get the Skimmer running the way it should.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Where does your skimmer overflow to? Mine has a tube coming out the side of the collection cup that feeds into another larger container. Also, is there a smaller venturi type fixture and a little thingy you can twist to control the air? Between that and the height of the skimmer, they seem to have something to do with performance. Maybe you can tell, I'm not a skimmer expert, and I'm sure mine may work different than yours.

As far as the brown sand goes, it might be just a little thing that new tanks, or newley moved and set up again tanks are gonna go thru. I'm guessing that after a good water change and still no trace of ammonia, you can add a clean up crew and fish. Got your QT tank set or or inthe plans yet? Some may not use them, but I can tell you from experience that after you're getting your extensive rockwork and corals placed - and of course a few fish. You happend to add one one day that you don't know is sick because he wasn't separated for a few weeks to watch in your QT.

Now, you can't catch him - unless you move ALL the rock. Then, you've got this sick fish and maybe he's already infected others. Fish die. No fish in tank for weeks. Gotta let the parasite die off w/no fish hosts present. Can't treat your tank with meds. It'll kill your coral and inverts.

OK, so much for the rant. Sorry. Just seems like you're serious about this and I'd like to see you have the best experience with it. A cheap 20g, HOB filter, and flourescent light, heater. It has been my best friend while stocking. Keep it going while you stock over the next few months. Take it down. Set it up as needed.

Good luck.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 02-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
the brown stuff is diatoms. totally normal, and it will go away on its own.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #18

Where does your skimmer overflow to? Mine has a tube coming out the side of the collection cup that feeds into another larger container. Also, is there a smaller venturi type fixture and a little thingy you can twist to control the air?

-- It does not have an escape for overflow. When it overflows the way it has been, it goes right back into the sump. IE - no drain for the collection cup. I have checked for an air control and no such control exists on my unit. Last night I took it all apart and cleaned it, although there was only a couple little peices of debris, it seemed to help.

Got your QT tank set or or inthe plans yet?

-- This is actually a big concern for me. A QT tank would not be expensive, but the real issue here is space. I do not believe I could fit another tank (even a small one) in the cabinet. I have also come to the conclusion that an automatic fresh water replenisher needs to be part of the plan after seeing how quickly it actually evaporates. I think I could arrange this underneath the table beside the tank and not be an eye soar. One thought I had was maybe a small nano reef type setup for the bedroom, which I could use for QT or refugium. Not really sure how to approach this one, I realize it is important but space is limited. Maybe a break-downable temporary type set up is the right approach, also I will get a UV sterilizer to try to help with "preventive medicine".

Just seems like you're serious about this and I'd like to see you have the best experience with it.

-- Ya, me too Ive had 3 roomates in my younger years that had decent (50 - 70g)freshwater tanks and have had some exposure with helping out with those, A salt water is something Ive always wanted and I decided that if possible, I want my first set up to be my last set up. Even though Im a beginner I didnt want to take the approach of starting with basics, and then continually upgrading to a reef tank. Now that I am in a position to have one, I want to do it right I also understand that only one thing can happen fast in a tank - fish dying

Your inquisition regarding what kinds of fish yesterday really got my wheels turning. Im still hung up on the idea of having an eel, and from everything I read the Snowflake Eel are considered by many to be reef-safe if you are careful - Although not a threat to fish, they do eat crustations. When I get to that 'stage' Ill be asking around to see if anyone has had success with a Snowflake Eel in a reef tank and what extra measures of "caution" should be used, but my guess is I probably need to give up on the Eel idea. There is also another species Golden Pacific, which is much smaller making it less of a threat to smaller inhabitants in the tank, but it is not as attractive, more aggressive and extremely expensive.

Anyways, I dropped a shrimp in the tank last night for good measure, will see tonight if the Amonia makes itself present. I second guess my test results, but I have found that when I compare it to an amonia test done on tap water, the color is the same but test taken from the tank is cloudy and the tap water more clear. I think this is just because the saltwater/freshwater difference. Hopefully the shrimp will really give me clear sign as to what the tank is doing.

--the brown stuff is diatoms. totally normal, and it will go away on its own.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 12:33 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
maybe a small nano reef type setup for the bedroom, which I could use for QT or refugium.
That won't work if you have to treat fish with meds. It'll kill the reef. I put my QT in my laundry room.

What kind of skimmer is it? As I said before, I am NOT a skimmer expert by any means, but its hard to believe those collection cups don't have an overflow hole for tubing to carry excess away. Going back into the sump scares me 'cause it goes straight back into the tank. I've seen overflow tubes that go into larger milk or water containers.

Quote:
an automatic fresh water replenisher needs to be part of the plan after seeing how quickly it actually evaporates.
That's a huge part of my frustration w/this hobby. Topping off fresh water.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #20

What kind of skimmer is it?

--Its an ASM G3. From what I understand it is supposed to be a very good skimmer. But there is no drain for excess, I guess its just supposed to not overflow

http://www.asmskimmer.com/catalog/pr...53643cc6afb3ce

That's a huge part of my frustration w/this hobby. Topping off fresh water.

-- I found this unit on the internet, seems to be a complete top-off solution and comes in various sizes to accomidate space restraints. You just hook it up, and take the top off to fill it as needed. Beats adding water every two days Especially with a submersable pump, its an extra peice of mind that the water level wont go to low accidentally.

http://www.c-horsesystems.com/clevel.htm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com