Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

new guy setting up a used tank, I dont know where to start

I have always liked salt water aquariums, and I bought a used 180 gal aquarium from a friend. It is dirty inside, salt encrusted etc...It is a "all glass aquarium" with two corner overflow systems installed. I placed the aquarium in my living room, put the wet/dry filter in the stand, and I can see where he had the pump, and the way it was plumbed in. He had a fish only system. He got frustrated when the kids who were house sitting his house had a party and something, probably alcohol got added to the tank killing everything.

My questions are: How do I clean the tank and all of the plumbing - I know he has medicated the tank in the past, and also there is the unknown additive from a party that killed off the tank. (I want to make a reef tank, and eventually have coral with the fish)

I have a cannister filter I want to put in, to use occasionally, do I put that before/after the return pump and wet dry filter.

The pvc pipes were cut, and I need to replace, which will mean using a type of plumbing glue. Do I need to use special glue?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
Clean it with water and vinegar. no solvents. Ask the friend if he ever used copper in the tank. Copper will never fully go away and will kill lots of SW things.

PVC glue is fine.

Good luck. Take your time. Nothing good ever happens quickly in SW.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:43 PM   #3

Hey, thanks for getting back to me! I will try a mild solution of vinegar and water, I was planning on running a couple cycles of fresh water through the system over the coming weeks to make sure everything worked and didnt leak. He did use copper in the system, and I can clean everything pretty well I think except the bio balls. Should I just replace them? Is the copper used going to create a lot of heartache for me? Can I just rinse the system several times? I am not gonna hold anyone to this, just your opinion!
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Throw the bioballs away and buy new ones. If he used copper in the tank you will not be able to keep anything other than fish unless you replace the silicon.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:08 AM   #5

thanks, I will ditch those, well worth the expense now, to save the trouble later...You said all the silicone, do you mean replace all of the hoses? That would not be a problem, it would just delay the tank...one step at a time, one paycheck at a time...I like your spoon comment...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 AM   #6

thanks, I will ditch those, well worth the expense now, to save the trouble later...You said all the silicone, do you mean replace all of the hoses? That would not be a problem, it would just delay the tank...one step at a time, one paycheck at a time...I like your spoon comment...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-07-2006, 01:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Silicon on the glass joints in the tank. I do not know if PVC will absorb copper or not. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:16 AM   #8

so I should try and scrape the tank clean and then re-silicone it?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
so I should try and scrape the tank clean and then re-silicone it
Yes. If copper was used in the tank then the silicon absorbed some of it. As well as anything else that was in the tank LR, sand, etc. If it will make you feel better wait until someone else comments on it. It is just slow tonight. I would not be here but I am working on a server. If you never plan to keep anything other than fish it is not a big deal.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:30 AM   #10

thanks Brendon,
It is definately my intention to keep more than just fish in this tank...I love all of the corals and inverts...I will definately scrape that out and clean the tank as best as I can. I will have live rock and fish to begin with, but it is my intention to add corals. I would like to have some of the more pretty fish - angels and such, but everything I have read has told me they will eat any corals I put in. So I would hate to go though everything to find out that a prior medication of copper would kill all fo them. thanks!

Jeff

Tags
setting up, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com