New guy who needs advice on 30g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huntercarpenter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I recently set up a 30g tank and I had a few concerns. First off is the lighting. I am afraid it will be too strong for the fish and coral. It is a marine land reef capable LED system. Any takes on this? My other concern is the filtration. I have a fluval 206 canister pump/filter. Will this canister be able to support corals,anemones,clams etc. I did hear about something called sumps but I'm a little hazy on the setup of them. Glad to be a new member and will be posting in the future! Thanks! :) here's a picture! Constructive criticism is welcome!

Unfortunately you will have the opposite problem with the Marineland lights, they will not be strong enough to support most corals. Fish are not so fussed with the lighting. As for filter/sump, read some of the threads on here as to the different types of filtration. Some people use canisters (although they can sometimes be more trouble than they are good) some people use sumps but personally I use my live rock is filtration only. Up to you! Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of good advise here, just ask :)

get a toa tronics dimmable led
well worth the money
check out the tread "best lighting for the buck"

The marine land LED will let you keep lower light coral Zoas, mushrooms some soft's Most of your filtration will come from your live rock (1-1.5 lbs per gallon) Canisters can be used but need to be cleaned almost weekly to keep nitrates down.
A sump wont be needed but More water volume = more room for mistakes and it gives you a place to hide things heaters, skimmer, macro algae.
Your gonna want to add more flow with coral maybe two 550 or even two 750 GPH power heads

I bought the marineland led and had a good few people tell me it was not the best for corals. I bought the bridgelux dimmable led 120w off eBay. Same thing as the taotronics one. $50 more then the marineland but well worth it

Thank you

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I learned exactly whàt i needed to know. Ill keep you updated on it :)

Back
Top Bottom