Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2006, 10:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
You have a w/d and what sounds like enough LR to be your filtration. A canister is not needed on your set up. What size pump do you have as the return pump to the tank from the w/d?
I would look into a skimmer and sell the canister filter. If you return pump does not push enough water look into a power head or 2 for added flow in the tank.
UV lights are not needed, they have there place but you can have a sucessful tank without them. Never had one on my fowlr and have not had one on my reef for about 3 years. Both taks are running great.

check into a good skimmer, do your homework on them before buying one, there are a lot on the market that are crap.
The pump in the wet/dry system is labeled as a Powerhead 802. Is this enough for the tank or should I get more/larger pumps? I don’t know if this is a quality piece of equipment or not but it doesn’t seem to have any issues pumping the water back to the top of the tank. My friend has offered to give me 90 dollars for the magnum, which is a little high if you ask me, but that is a good start towards the cash I would need for a skimmer if I choose to buy one.

Is there any brand or size skimmer that any of you would suggest?

Is there any brand that I need to stay away from?

I have seen talk of using a sump system as well. Where can I find details on exactly what you are talking about? Will the sump system work with the wet/dry system I already have or would I need to upgrade that as well?

Sorry I have so many questions that probably seem like normal everyday issues to some of you but thank you for your patience. I’m just trying to do what’s right for the tank and not get off on the wrong foot. :P

Kafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I went to the LFS to ask about skimmers and sumps and the guy there suggested that if I truly want a good piece of equipment to go with the Euro Reef brand skimmers. I asked him how much they cost and he said that I could expect to pay around 300 for one for a 75 gallon aquarium. He wasn’t trying to sell me anything they had in the store but he did point out that Euro Reef skimmers were what they used on all of their salt water tanks. I described the size of my wet/dry system and he said that I might want to get a larger one so I could go with an in sump style skimmer. When I got home I jumped online to see what I could find as far as prices go and HOLY COW he wasn’t kidding about prices.

The prices I found were 248.00 for the CS80 (80 gallon skimmer) and 448.00 for the CS100 (100 gallon skimmer). I was looking at the larger skimmers just in case I actually go with a larger sump.

What other brands are worth looking in to that will be equally as good. I’m trying to make a 1 time purchase but I’m also trying not to break the bank

Thanks again for all the help

Kafer is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com