New here and my way of helping with BP Spill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarest

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK long story short, some of you might have come across my videos on Youtube and some might not have.

My name is Jocko and I live in the deep south in Ms, any further I would be in the water; approx a mile from beach but I have two bayous that surround my place one north and the other south of me. I have always liked and have had fish tanks all my life along with German Shepherd and in January this past year I decided to try another tank. I went to my garage and pulled out a 40gal tank and started as a simple tank. A few tropical fish from Walmart and a few fish (guppies and short fin mollies) out of the Bayou's wild caught. I always put some salt in my tanks as I believe it makes for a healthier tanks.

Fast forward to two or so weeks into the BP Spill I decided to convert the tank to a brackish tank and try to save a few fish. One thing lead to another and I have too many fish so I need another tank. Purchased a 100gal, really nice stand hood, lights etc. I also have two other tanks going and they all have Native fish in them and the main drive in my systems is to attempt to save these fish from a death caused by man. Sadly I have lost a few fish along the way but I have also saved many and this hobby is not only satisfing but does consume a decent portion of my day.

I know the 100gal is still a little over crowded and it depends on what happens this weekend with the tropical storm if I release a few of the Croakers and the large Blue Crabs after the shed (or molt) with their upper pincher regenerated so they can protect themselves. All these fish were caught in a brackish environment and they currently live in a 1.017 sg environment.

Depending on the storm I will be releasing back into the wild 5 Croakers, and the Blue Crabs in the local bayou. So far this area is also brackish but has not had any visible oil from the spill like the front gulf area. The bayou is only 3/4 from the beach as the crow flies but its over 10 miles as a boat travels from the oil stained areas.

I have learned allot since this little adventure, the Hardhead or Catfish acts very similar to a Shark when feeding and since I do hand feed the fish shrimp he has bitten me a few times on accident and his mouth is like sand paper with his teeth. Who ever said Crawfish are stupid are clueless; I have a male and female that I saved from a meal instead of boiling and they are having a great time in the tank and will lay on their backs on the upper plants and grab food as it floats by. Hermit Crabs are very aggressive against their one kind and are a highly effective sand shifter. Mullets actually graze on the sand like Cows to a open field and its cool to watch them doing these things.

In the main tank there is 80lbs of live sand, all plastic or silk plants, 2 over the side filter systems a 110 and a 60 and also a power head inside the tank.

Enjoy and Pray for us that the Tropical Storm does not push too much Oil into our already damaged wetlands.

tank1.jpg

One of my 3 big blues; this is a little boy.
tank2.jpg

One of the tank, this is the 100gal
tank3.jpg

My pipefish, 5 inches long already
tank4.jpg

The females again, only 3 large blues remain one male and the females
tank5.jpg

Two sucker fish I believe to be part of the Gobbie family (not confirmed)
tank6.jpg

Hermit Crab, Mullet grazing, Bull Minnow and a Male Crawfish
tank7.jpg

Spade fish with Croakers
tank8.jpg

Gulf Catfish with Croakers and Mullet

Back
Top Bottom