Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
crm
Aquarium Advice Newbie

new here, just getting started with an already established tank. HELP

Hello everyone, I'm new to all this, and am about to buy my first tank. Its an already established tank thats been doing fine for about 3 years now, according to the current owner. This is a 37 gallon system with a 250w metal halide light fixture with two 45w actinic compact flourescents and moon lights. there are 2 Hydor Koralia power heads and one regular power head. As well as a Renafilstar XP2. The tank has approx. 45 lbs of live rock and 60 lbs of live sand, a few hermits, some snails, 1 cinnamon clown, 1 three striped damsel, and a purple lobster named Prince. (package deal) This is going to be a trial-by-fire learning experience and along with the tank I plan on picking up numerous books. My question for you all is, how well set up is this tank, in your opinions? What else should I look into buying to make it more harmonious and easily maintained? I've read the stickies in the beginner section, and have done as much research as I could do in the last couple days, but I thought I'd get straight to the point and ask you all what I should know and/or keep in mind. thank you all in advance for any help you can offer.

Colby

Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
crm
Aquarium Advice Newbie

also, I forgot to mention. The reason the current owner is selling is because he's moving to California, and cannot transport the set up halfway across the country. He's asking $300, but I'm betting he'd take $250 if I handed it to him. what do you all think?

Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

No way is that tank 3 years old. With 250MH lights, actually any lights really, those rocks should be completely covered in coraline. Are you sure those are 250w MH lights? I see no corals in the tank. Those MHs use a lot of electricity. No point to using them if you're not growing\keeping corals.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Fish R friends, not food!

I agree that tank doesnt look 3 years old. But, I think it isnt a bad deal though. You definately have the tools to make it alot better. I would probably try to trade most of the livestock off and get what you want. I would also get rid of the canister and put together a small sump with skimmer.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
crm
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
I agree that tank doesnt look 3 years old. But, I think it isnt a bad deal though. You definately have the tools to make it alot better. I would probably try to trade most of the livestock off and get what you want. I would also get rid of the canister and put together a small sump with skimmer.

thanks, do you, or does anybody have a link to where i can get the sump and skimmer?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can build your own sump out of an empty tank. Here is a site that has like very skimmer known to man plus the dimensions of the skimmer tomake sure it will fit in the sump.

Aquarium Supplies, Reef Aquarium Supplies, Aquarium Products, Saltwater Aquarium, Fish Tank Supplies, Freshwater Aquarium, Marine Aquarium

Go to the left and click on protein skimmers.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
crm
Aquarium Advice Newbie

is it not feasable to get by without the sump? I really dont have a lot of space...could I still filter properly without it, with maybe a hang-on protein skimmer?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
crm
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
No way is that tank 3 years old. With 250MH lights, actually any lights really, those rocks should be completely covered in coraline. Are you sure those are 250w MH lights? I see no corals in the tank. Those MHs use a lot of electricity. No point to using them if you're not growing\keeping corals.
I can only go on what I've been told. The guy said he's spent a few hundred bucks on the lighting. I personally would want to have corals too...
Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Fish R friends, not food!

You can use the canister, you just have to be diligent with maintenance.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Either way I'd take the deal. The LR alone is worth what he is asking. If the lights won't do, we can go from there after we ID what on earth it is.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
established tank, started, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com