new here, just getting started with an already established tank. HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I'm new to all this, and am about to buy my first tank. Its an already established tank thats been doing fine for about 3 years now, according to the current owner. This is a 37 gallon system with a 250w metal halide light fixture with two 45w actinic compact flourescents and moon lights. there are 2 Hydor Koralia power heads and one regular power head. As well as a Renafilstar XP2. The tank has approx. 45 lbs of live rock and 60 lbs of live sand, a few hermits, some snails, 1 cinnamon clown, 1 three striped damsel, and a purple lobster named Prince. (package deal) This is going to be a trial-by-fire learning experience and along with the tank I plan on picking up numerous books. My question for you all is, how well set up is this tank, in your opinions? What else should I look into buying to make it more harmonious and easily maintained? I've read the stickies in the beginner section, and have done as much research as I could do in the last couple days, but I thought I'd get straight to the point and ask you all what I should know and/or keep in mind. thank you all in advance for any help you can offer.:ermm:

Colby

also, I forgot to mention. The reason the current owner is selling is because he's moving to California, and cannot transport the set up halfway across the country. He's asking $300, but I'm betting he'd take $250 if I handed it to him. what do you all think?

:thanks:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 78
No way is that tank 3 years old. With 250MH lights, actually any lights really, those rocks should be completely covered in coraline. Are you sure those are 250w MH lights? I see no corals in the tank. Those MHs use a lot of electricity. No point to using them if you're not growing\keeping corals.

I agree that tank doesnt look 3 years old. But, I think it isnt a bad deal though. You definately have the tools to make it alot better. I would probably try to trade most of the livestock off and get what you want. I would also get rid of the canister and put together a small sump with skimmer.

I agree that tank doesnt look 3 years old. But, I think it isnt a bad deal though. You definately have the tools to make it alot better. I would probably try to trade most of the livestock off and get what you want. I would also get rid of the canister and put together a small sump with skimmer.

thanks, do you, or does anybody have a link to where i can get the sump and skimmer?

is it not feasable to get by without the sump? I really dont have a lot of space...could I still filter properly without it, with maybe a hang-on protein skimmer?

No way is that tank 3 years old. With 250MH lights, actually any lights really, those rocks should be completely covered in coraline. Are you sure those are 250w MH lights? I see no corals in the tank. Those MHs use a lot of electricity. No point to using them if you're not growing\keeping corals.

I can only go on what I've been told. The guy said he's spent a few hundred bucks on the lighting. I personally would want to have corals too...

Well, I got the tank today, got it home and am now sitting in front of it! :) The fish are swimming along just fine. the Lobster was fine when I put him in there...havent really seen him since, but mainly because the water hasnt really settled yet. still pretty foggy. I'm thinking I'll buy the protein skimmer within the next two weeks, then let everything get settled and aquainted before adding anything extra.

Back
Top Bottom