Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2005, 11:47 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! The next thing I'd put into my tank would be a nice sized pile of live rock (www.liverocks.com is *great*). That will give your fish someplace to hide, aid in the filtration and provide a natural environment to the fish.

The guideline for saltwater fish is and inch per 5g of adult fish minus the tail. www.liveaquaria.com has great information on the temperment of fish and their hardiness. It is a great place to look for ideas on fish.

Not wanting reef really opens up some possibilities for you. We have 3 chromis in our 120 and they're great fish. I've heard to keep them in odd numbers and 8 of them (24" of adult fish) would be a lot for a 75, given a recommended bioload of 15" of adult fish (lots of people go over that, but you don't want to go *tooooo* far).

We also have the spotted cardinals. They're interesting fish. They just hover in the water column for the most part. Our yellow tang is an avid swimmer streaking across the water like lightening at times. I don't have much experience with the rest of your fish since we stayed reef safe with our selection (and am so glad we did, adding a little coral to the tank changed its personality dramatically).

Good luck coming up with your final fish list. The hardest part of this hobby second only to waiting is limiting the number of fish you put into your tank!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:46 PM   #12
eekball

Do you need special lighting, etc. for live rock?

Also, we haven't invested in a protein skimmer or sterilizer yet, are these absolutely neccessary?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't need any special lighting for the LR. You'll be just as happy with it no matter what kind of lighting you have! The UV is debateable as to whether or not it helps at all so there's no rush for that. The protein skimmer will be worth its weight in gold and you'll want one soon enough but wait until you can get a good one. Just take it very slowly. Add one or two fish at a time and wait 4-6w between fish so that your bio filter can build up to the new load.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi again. Here are links where you can look up infos of a particular fish you want. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=15
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/c...lity_chart.cfm

Lights: You will do ok with NO flourescent lights for FO or FOWLR system.

Protein skimmer: Helps remove small partical wastes(green/brown smelly) which can not be remove by your filtration system. So, get it asap! I recommend you get an aquac remora skimmer.

UV sterilizer: It helps keeps your fish/ inverts healthy by killing most parasites in the tank. Some people use it , some don't.Think of it like having an insurance.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
pair of Heniochus
I hate to throw a wrench into the works, but I don't think this is a good idea in a 75. I have 2 in my tank and IMO they need more room than the Scopas Tang. Extremely active swimmers.
I know Liveaquaria states a 50 gallon system, but they also state in the same chart that this fish can get to 10" (they can, I have seen them this big). Don't forget they are in this to sell fish. tweaking system size recommendations can be expected.
we also have out own chart here at AA, I believe the system sizes recommendations are a little more conservative, but will lead to better success down the road.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/SWCompatibility.php
Have you considered a Centropyge (dwarf) Angel?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #16
eekball

Was looking at a Coral Beauty Angel. We also saw a beautiful Yellow Eye Tang and a Dot-Dash Butterfly in the same tank. They all seemed to get along very well.

Tags
ich, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com