Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
eekball

New hobbyist -which fish to pick?

Hi! My husband & I are new to the hobby & have a 75 gallon saltwater tank that we set up about 6-7 weeks ago. We were told that we needed to start off with 7-8 damsels to cycle the tank (unfortunately, I'm learning that wasn't the best thing to do). We did that and just took the remaining damsels out. We traded them in at our LFS and got a small school of green chromis (8 small ones).

We have picked out some other fish that we like and want to see if anyone can tell us if this is a good mix and/or good number to have. Everywhere I ask, I get a different answer!! It's quite frustrating!!

- Foxface
- Naso Blonde Tang
- Regal Tang
- Sailfin Tang (Red Sea)
- Heniochus (Black & White Butterfly)
- 2 jawfish or gobies

We also have 2 red-legged hermit crabs and about 8 blue/orange legged little crabs already in the tank.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

welcome to aa for starters

if ya like the jawfish id add them next ! but important that your lights turn off gradually to keep them from freekin out and jumping out the tank ! once they settle in this is less likly !
naso will get to big for your tank in the long run imo
fox face isnt a bad choice have read that they will eat some algae other critters wont !
i think ya thinking of a schooling bannerfish
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fi...h/hacumin2.htm
if so this a good choice
might want to hold of on the tangs till you settle into the salt keeping for a bit ! they can be a challenge to some

Old 01-25-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
eekball

I don't particularly like the jawfish but someone said they would be cool at the bottom of the tank?

I think we've decided against the Naso Tang - like you said, it will outgrow our tank.

I also like the Fantail Orange Filefish but don't know much about it.

What about the Foxface, the filefish, Bannerfish and then in a few months adding the Blue Tang & the Sailfin Tang last?

Thanks!!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi welcome to aa! 75 gal tank is a bit small for more than 2 tangs. You may want to know about these 2 particular tangs before buying.

Regal tang is a pretty fish, but it is more susceptible to lateral line disease, fin erosion, ich and other skin parasites than many other fish. So you should really look into it first.

Sailfin tang - A 125 gallon or larger aquarium is necessary to provide plenty of swimming room. It is aggressive towards its own species and conspecifics at times, but peaceful towards other fish, so keep only one except in a very large tank.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
eekball

IfoundNemo - Thanks for the input. It looks like you have quite a selection in your 75 gal SW tank.

Knowing that I like the tangs and different shaped/colored fish, what would you suggest we put together for starters?

We only have a school of green chromis right now (8), 10 hermit crabs and no live rock or anything.

Do you know anything about the filefish? And I've heard that the Butterfly fish is also pretty susceptible to disease, is this true?

Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

most butterfly fish are coral eaters so you really need to research the ones you pick !
i suggest buy the book called marine fishes by scott w. michael !
its a pretty good guide to have with you when you walk into a store
Old 01-26-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
eekball

Okay - I'm not trying to be stubborn here, but everyone I've talked to and info I've gotten online is all different. This is very confusing. But... We have ruled out the Naso Tang and Sailfin Tangs because of size. But what about a Scopas Tang? I like the shape and it is MUCH smaller.

What if we did a Scopas Tang with
- pair of Heniochus (aka Bannerfish, B&W Butterfly)
- Fantail Filefish
- pair of spotted cardinalfish or Banggai Cardinals
- Foxface

We have a school of 8 green chromis and 10 hermit crabs.
(Note: We do not intend on make the tank a reef tank )

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

that tang would be a better choice but reading the marine fishes book its saye they are the most aggressive out of the zebrasoma's ! so add it last !
Old 01-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Check out my profile for what I've got in my 75g. The purple tang may get too big in a few years, but I know an LFS owner freind of mine will take him if needed. And like steve says, might wann add the tang last.

I had the foxface for a while, but got rid of him. He was a scairdy cat and got a real ugly brown when he was bothered. The filefish is a notorius jumper too.

8 b/g chromis may take up some of the fish per inch space you'll have down the road. Might wanna consider only 3 or 4 instead.

Most of all, welcome to AA!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #10
eekball

Thanks! btw what is the "rule of thumb" for fish per inch?

Tags
ich, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com