Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2003, 08:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Let me come up with some pics and I'll post them tonight.

125gal Reef
55gal sump
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Arctica 1/4hp Chiller
3 x 250W MH 10K and 2 x 165W VHO Actinics
mulron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:39 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry I have had a nightmare of a weekend. I won't bore ya with the details.

Here are my thoughts for the center overflow and sump.

It's a rough idea but I think it will get you started in the right direction.

On the overflow down to the sump you will need a screen of some sort. It is curved so that is doesn't make as much noise when the water goes thru it. Also on the return I would put a nozzle on it. Good pic of one is here

Below is the sump and tank pics with water flow. Once again sorry. Hope this helps a little. Any more detail just let me know.

125gal Reef
55gal sump
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Arctica 1/4hp Chiller
Old 08-11-2003, 01:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

bah dbl pic

125gal Reef
55gal sump
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Arctica 1/4hp Chiller
Old 08-12-2003, 10:02 AM   #14
JS
Aquarium Advice Newbie

David, Thanks for the pictures. My knowledge level is increasing everyday.
Now that I have learned some of the terminology I think that I can say I do not want an overflow for getting the water into the sump, because the tank is viewable from all 4 sides. The guy at the LFS showed me one of their setups and it was drilled in the center to drain the water, but was not an overflow. It was surrounded by LR so it was totally unnoticable from all 4 sides. This is what I was hoping to do. What is the terminology for this?
Would it be advantageous to put one drain hole on each end of the tank (in case one gets plugged)?
Old 08-12-2003, 02:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to brewercm
Another option is you can build a large overflow box in the center or corner of the tank that feeds to the whole drilled in the bottom. This way if you loose power to your return pump not all of the water will be dumped into your basement, it will stop at the overflow line along with the fact that it will skim the water from the top. This can also be mostly concealed with some good aquascaping using LR.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:23 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

JS, it's still basically an overflow, just that its in the center of the tank rather than on the side... of course.. we can come up with a nifty name for it... lets see... "A masquaraded-centrally-located-cylendrical-overflow" or MCLCO hey I like that... where's the patent office?

anyway...

one word of caution with a central "pipe" style overflow... I've heard they can create an aweful lot of noise. You'll want to look into ways of reducing the noise without restricting the flow too much.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:41 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

JS - maybe I should have explained myself a bit more about the picture of the overflow. I was still talking about putting the overflow in the center of the tank but just using that rough design featured in the color photo. I'm not sure what you saw in the LFS but the tubes leading up to the top of the tank are important; as well as the hook in the pipe leading down to the sump. Now you can hide them with the use of LR and that should get you the desired affect you are looking for.

Overflow is just a general term for getting water from the main display to the sump. It can be located anywhere really.

As far as noise goes, the hook in the pipe going to the sump will quiet the water flowing sounds.

If you like what you saw at the LFS, then by all means go with it. As long as there are some sort of pipes or a "box" leading to the top of the tank, then you should be ok.

Hope this makes sense coffee maker broke and I am working w/o coffee 8O

125gal Reef
55gal sump
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Arctica 1/4hp Chiller

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com