New Huma Huma Trigger and the Damsel that wants to kill him

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjbrown

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some quick advice. The LFS guy said our tank would be fine to add a Huma Huma to it however, our 4 stripe Damsel is nipping and pushing like you wouldn't believe. We just added the Trigger - 30 mins ago - will this stop should we take the Damsel out? Help! We don't want to lose the Trigger.:confused:

Damsels are very territorial and it's not uncommon for them to gang up on a new fish. I would take the Damsels back and keep the Humu humu.

We ended up taking the Damsel out last night, actually. We couldn't stand to watch the Huma get beat up on like that. All balance has been restored in the tank. Thanks for your advice!!

Good call. Often removing the fish to a QT tank for a few days and adding it back will correct the problem. The fish no longer has an established territory at this point and is now the newcomer.

Must be a juvvie Huma. Nobody messes with mine. He goes where he wants, when he wants. Gets the food he wants. Just yesterday he tunneled (yes made a tunnel under my rock where my goby has one of his many tunnels). For some reason he found it fun to surf thru the tunnel and come up the other side. When I shoved a small piece of lr in the gap, he dug that out. Now there's a boulder and he's moved back to terrorizing my algae clip

Last edited:
He actually is a juvi. The damsel has been in the tank for two years. We figured since the tank was established the Huma wouldn't be so territorial at the start. We just didn't realize the damsel would kick his butt. I knew they were aggressive, we have a pretty aggressive tank anyway, but it was pretty sad to watch. Dang damsels - I could go the rest of my life and not have those in any more tanks! We have had nothing but problems with them.:roll:

I have 2 yellow tails and a clown as well. All get along relatively fine. Other than the black/tan angel sometimes takes swipes at the clown. Hit-n-Miss I guess

Back
Top Bottom