Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-03-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
New Keys Rock (lr.com) - with pics

So, after a few months and several questions on this forum - I've got my brand new 110 gallon up and running. Just received 60lbs of keys rock and 40lbs of live base rock from lr.com. They were great to deal with. HIGHLY recommended (what else is new). Mike from lr.com suggesting getting a few large pieces of the keys since my tank is tall. The aquascaping was quite a project because the pieces were so big - but, the results are great. The brighter white pieces of rock are some of the 50lbs of dead base rock I already had. So, the total is 150lbs of rock if anyone was wondering.

Since I'm eventually going for a FOWLR set-up and plan to have a Zebra Moray at some point - I wanted more of a mountain of caves and crevices for hiding rather than shelves for coral. Because the rocks were so heavy, they are nice and stable so I don't think I have to worry about toppling over (except the small rock teetering at the top).

See pics below - also threw in a pic of a large bristle worm that came out to say hi.

- Skins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bristleworm1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1817   Click image for larger version

Name:	liverock1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1818  

SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
150 pounds isn't much is it? I would think it would just fill it up. Looks good on the aquascape though.

Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Rock looks great! I would consider removing that large bristle worm. it may be a bearded fireworm and is very destructive. Do not use your hands to get it.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Agreed. I was all dressed up for a Jack and Jill party when this guy made his appearance and only had time to snap a shot and leave. But, my eyes are peeled now. lr.com did warm me that there would be some worms in the shipment and sent an email with tips on how to remove them. First class customer service with those guys.

Yeah, I thought it would take up more space too, but it works out great for a FOWLR set-up. There's a lot of different swimming levels. I'm very happy with it.
- Skins

210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to badfish
Hey SkinnyPete, rock looks great. I did get a fireworm with my order, which was the same shipment that you received since we received on same day. luckily i got him out right away. Tank looks good, and i love my rock too.
50 Gallon Oceanic: 2 maxijet 1200's, 2 150 watt visitherm heaters, BakPak II Skimmer with PS & BT, Coralife Lunar 2X65 watt Power Compacts

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote

pics, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com