New Light causing problems...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deanp88

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a new light for my 125g tank with MH lights and 50/50 flour. I am now developing a hair algea problem. I have researched the threads and gathered some info. My water parameters are what they should be including nitrates at 10 or less. I am feeding every other day frozen brime shrimp (small cube). I use RO water and my tank is very lightly stocked with 5 fish (damsels) and 1 lawnmower blennie. If I keep the right parameters with this go away like the diatoms when first set up 3 months ago? Anything else I can do/get to keep it from getting out of control? I also have 2 mushrooms, 1 anenome, and a tree coral. I had recently put into the water a reef supplement "Natural Trace" made by API which was recommended by the lfs for the soft corals. could that have caused the problem? Thanks!

Forgot to mention there are plenty of bubbles on the algea right now, gas bubbles I am guessing.

Thanks melosu58. I actually have that list saved on my pc. I quess I am just wondering if this algea goes away on its own if the criteria on that list is met or if you have to physically remove it from all the rock or it will grow completely out of control. Will it die out on its own?

The "Natural Trace" stuff just appears to be trace elements. API is a little vague on their description of it. If you're doing water changes every 1-2 weeks, you most likely don't need the stuff. I'd stop dosing it for a while and see if the algae issues don't get better. Pretty sure you can live without the stuff.

IME manual removal and following that checklist will eventually remove it. Remember it did not start over nite and it`s not going to go away over nite either. As far as the manual removal every time you do a PWC rubberband a toothbrush on the end of your siphon hose and try to scrub the hair algea off while you are withdrawing water. As the algea comes off it will be whisked out through the siphon hose. In time you`ll get the upper hand.

I am doing water changes at about 10 gallons every 4-7 days for a 125g. I will try the toothbrush on the siphon hose trick, sounds like a good approach. I have a phosphate filter and nitrates are 5-10ppm. It is not real bad right now but I have heard how it can quickly get out of hand. Thanks guys!!

So I guess the HA uses nitrates and phosphates as food and also require light. If I remove all traces of phospates and NO3 will that kill it off? Are there any other trace elements that it uses to grow? Will I have to reduce lighting if all NO3 and phosphates are removed?

This is the dream of every "Reefer"...(remove all traces of phospates and NO3), unfortunately this is easier said then done. These elements are a constant threat to any reefer and we all have to be up on it by using common sense are far as feeding and PWC,Lighting,etc...

Also remember that the HA stores nutrients, So when it dies off it releases the unused nutrients back into the water, thus providing more nutrients for more algae. It is a very good cycle if you like algae!

Back
Top Bottom