New Lighting!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AutumnPine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my 29 g set up for nine months now and have been running a regular flourescent. I got my new light and plugged it up today. It's a 30" dual satellite w/lunar. WOW!!! I can't believe the difference. The colors in my coralline just pop to life. I feel like a kid in a candy store. The only thing I'm not sure of is how to alternate the different type of lighting or if it's even necessary. I sure would appreciate a little insight. I don't have any corals in my setup just fish and a few inverts.

Congrats on the new purchase! It does make a huge difference. As for time...most people prefer to have the actinic (blue) light come on an hour before the daylight (white) one comes on. They they have the daylight then turn off an hour before the actinic. Getting a couple of DIGITAL timers is the way to go. I have my actinics come on at noon and go off at 10pm. My 14k MH daylight bulbs come on at 1pm and go off at 9pm. You can leave the moons on 24/7.

I used to run my actinic 30 mins before lights on/off, but due to a few power outages (and having to reset the timers), I just run them all at the same time for 8 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom