New lighting! Yay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just received my LED lighting from hong kong. Costed me $188 plus a duty tax of $19.56. So far I'm pleased:D

Got a coral also, have no idea what it is

Attachments

• image-3409259785.jpg
    image-3409259785.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3108384251.jpg
    image-3108384251.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 140
  • image-411192859.jpg
    image-411192859.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 154
  • image-4237746003.jpg
    image-4237746003.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2014137615.jpg
    image-2014137615.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 100
I like the light but I would have gotten 2. You have shadows on each side so low light hardy corals will have to go there. But nice light non the less.

I haven't mounted it yet. I'm gonna hang it 7 or 8 inches above the tank so the light will be dispersed everywhere.

Also it was a christmas gift from my parents do I'm not gonna ask for 2 ahaha.

I'm really happy with it! :D you got yours from the guys in hong kong?

Yeah I think the seller that i bought my lights from also sells that kind of lights you got. It's just the bulbs look different on mine.

Do you keep any corals under it? If so what kind

How deep is the tank? Mounting it that high might cause problems on stuff at the bottom of the tank. The light needs to be able to penetrate. Not sure if LED's will or not but I know T5 lights aren't good in anything deeper then 26"

How deep is the tank? Mounting it that high might cause problems on stuff at the bottom of the tank. The light needs to be able to penetrate. Not sure if LED's will or not but I know T5 lights aren't good in anything deeper then 26"

well my tank is about 20" tall. and my light produces a lot of power lol. its pretty powerful. I have a what i think is a torch coral and it looks like its doing pretty good. its at the bottom of the tank

Yeah I'm just starting to add corals to my tank and my ricordea at the Buttom of the tank opens up crazy :)

I'm glad you're enjoying the lights. You have a torch if all tentacles are single, not branching.

I'm glad you're enjoying the lights. You have a torch if all tentacles are single, not branching.

Youll be fine moving them up a lil bit so light will cover more my tank is 30" deep and my leds are 8" above tank and coral on bottom is still getting plenty of loght

I would still suggest two of them as well, one single fixture is not enough to do the trick for the entire 4' tank. I had a customer with a similar lenses and when they hang it high enough to cover his 48" tank, it ends up not providing enough PAR to the coral even his mushroom are not opening up.

Youll be fine moving them up a lil bit so light will cover more my tank is 30" deep and my leds are 8" above tank and coral on bottom is still getting plenty of loght

That really depend on the brand of LED and the type of lenses your LED is using. Not all LEDs are the same especially comes to performance and that is why the cost are different. ( of course, there is also the gimmick factor for some of the LEDs)

Oh after I double check the pictures, the light is already sitting on a canopy, which means it is already at about 6-10 inches I would assume.

Just to let you compare the coverage of having one to have ..well 3 ( I suggest him to only use 2 but he want to match the brightness of his 2x250W MH)

The LED I think is hanging about 10-14 inches, you can tell the differences on the sides. And these LEDs are using 90 degree lenses. His tank is 48x24x18

img_2248676_0_27b17b9218f0a43a52dd966d897498c8.jpg

That really depend on the brand of LED and the type of lenses your LED is using. Not all LEDs are the same especially comes to performance and that is why the cost are different. ( of course, there is also the gimmick factor for some of the LEDs)

True i agree all leds are not the same and have different lenses seems odd that mushrooms are not openeng tho they use very lil light mine open up with just moonlights but all mushrooms are different as well

True i agree all leds are not the same and have different lenses seems odd that mushrooms are not openeng tho they use very lil light mine open up with just moonlights but all mushrooms are different as well

Also depends on coral being kept theres tons of low light coral if sps then yes deffinately 2 fixtures theres just so many factors to think about

Well it is too bad I don't have the pictures that he show me, he first shown me the 2 LEDs with 120 degree lenses sitting on top of the glass top, everything looks fine, but once he hang the light to about 8 inches or so, you can tell the light are not going deep enough. All the light seem to go around the outside cuz the higher degree of lenses it is the less PAR it will provide to deeper tank.

Well it is too bad I don't have the pictures that he show me, he first showed me the 2 LEDs with 120 degree lenses sitting on top of the glass top, everything looks fine, but once he hang the light to about 8 inches or so, you can tell the light are not going deep enough. All the light seem to go around the outside cuz the higher degree of lenses it is the less PAR it will provide to deeper tank.

120 ° lenses for sure dont penetrate more of a spread now i understand ya that would make sense
mine are 90°

Back
Top Bottom