New Live Rock....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys just got some LR in and right now I have them in a 18 gallon Rubbermaid Tote.... It came at a Suprise it was suppose to arrive tomorrow and I quickly got my saltwater ready.... it's Fiji Rock and it's pre-cured.... Right now I have my main Skimmer running cause I was waiting for my other skimmer to come in I also have a Powerhead on order all should come in this week sometime.... I believe my skimmer will arrvie on friday.... But anyways what else should I have running in the tote while the Rock is being cured? SHould I run a Skimmer or should I just run a Powerhead and heater only... I was told to leave it in SW for a week? Could I put it right in since it's already precured....????

If it was shipped and not in water, pre-cured doesn't really mean much. I can't quite recall, do you have any critters in your tank? If not, you might be able to get away with adding them right into the tank. How much is in your tank and how much did you get. In order to cure/cycle rock you do it exactly the same as you did your tank, there is no difference.
To answer your question, ph and heater, no skimmer (unless you really want to).

Oh and I have about 40LBS already Fully Cured and also I do have critters 7 hermits 1 snail.....

Base Rock

Alright should I do the same thing with Base Rock does in go right in or do I have to cure it before putting it in my tank? Let me know

Thanks'........:D

I would imagine adding 6lbs of semi0cured LR to a tank with 40lbs of cured LR wouldn't do much, there is plenty of bacteria established to process anything coming from that smaller amount of rock.

I could be wrong, but the added ammonia load shouldn't be more than adding a couple fish in my opinion.

I agree.
Tank, put it all in a separate bucket with SW, heater and ph (if you want to be safe) and wait for about 3-4 days and test for ammonia.

Last edited:
I agree.
Tank, put it all in a separate bucket with SW, heater and ph (if you want to be safe) and wait for about 3-4 and test for ammonia.

Alright... So basically pre-cured rock shipped is not pre-cured? it's just base rock? So if i get base rock is it the same as Pre-cured rock being shipped? Would I have to cure it before I have to put it in my tank? I under the stand the ammount of LBS... I just don't want to throw it in that i i get this huge Ammonia Spike? Sorry i am just trying to under the whole concept of Pre-Cured and Base Rock.....:D

Alright... So basically pre-cured rock shipped is not pre-cured? it's just base rock? So if i get base rock is it the same as Pre-cured rock being shipped? Would I have to cure it before I have to put it in my tank? I under the stand the ammount of LBS... I just don't want to throw it in that i i get this huge Ammonia Spike? Sorry i am just trying to under the whole concept of Pre-Cured and Base Rock.....:D

Not exactly. Cured/pre-cured means it has life on it/in it. Base rock means that it is completely dead and has been out of the water for some time.

Base rock means that it is completely dead and has been out of the water for some time.

Ok.. So can I add the Base Rock right to the tank without curing it or does it have to be cured before has to be put into the tank.....? Just making sure I get this right......:silly:

Tank, put it all (base) in a separate bucket with SW, heater and ph (if you want to be safe) and wait for about 3-4 days and test for ammonia. If there is no ammonia, you can add it to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom