Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
New live rock

ok i think i am ready. i have been soaking my live rock i got from somebody elses tank in some saltwater. My LFS didnt have the sand I wanted (just 1 20lb bag), and wont be available until Friday or so. Only have a yellow tang, and 3 small damsels, plus crabs, etc.

What should I do next?

I am planning to remove the rock and substrate (crushed coral) from my tank right now and put my live rock in the tank.

What should I do with my fish? Should I take them out while I am aquasculpting? And for how long? Is it ok to have my rock in there without sand first?

Also how much sand do I need?

I dont want a really deep sand bed. About enough to maybe be seen in the front glass Maybe about 2 inches for now. I have a 75g tank.

I am getting Moonlight SAnd by CaribSea. I will check the other LFS and see if they have it. Help guys..

stan450z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
If it was me I would put the sand in first to keep from accidentally droping a rock on the bottom glass and cracking it. Have you cured your LR.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
rock is fine will add a little sand with a funnel and long tube.

did a calculation and got 60 lb of sand. should be enough for now. could always add more.

Too hard to catch the damsels so I left them in there as well as the crabs.

I took my tang out and put him in about a 20 gallon rubber maid container with the original tank water. Any idea how long i can leave him in there? I left him overnight since I didn't completely finish my assembly late last night. So it will be no more than 24 hours by the time i finish everything today. Hope he will be ok...
Old 07-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Have you run a cycle on your tank?
Fish? how long have you had them in the tank?
Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
is back to save the day!

Well as long as your heater is in the container, and you have at least one powerhead to keep the flow going i think he would be fine for 24 hours. He may be a little stressed, but im sure that will clear up when he gets back into the new tank. Just make sure the water temp stays the same, theres flow, and theres no nitrites and i think you will be fine. But just to ensure you dont huirt or kill him, i would say get him into the main tank where everything is good ASAP. If you left the damsels in there, then why didnt you just leave the tang in there? Might have been better off that way. JMO
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been running for 7 months and is completly cycled, the fish for nearly 5 or 6 months. Then I took out my substrate and adding this new live rock that came straight out of an established tank. Out of water for not even 1 hour.

Water temp if fine, just worried for him running out of air. Fish get shipped in boxes for nearly 1 or 2 days, i think he will be ok. I'm not even moving the fish around like they do in shipping, and he has lots of room for a clean, stress free, temporary place. I knew the water would be cloudy and a mess, so I thought this was the best stress free way for him. I couldn't even catch the damsels, it was too hard, and they are only a few bucks so I didnt care.

I will put him in the new tank ASAP, as soon my rock is set up, and the water has been running for a while in my tank. I can add the sand with a funnel and long tube with the guys in the tank, no mess.

Cant wait to post before and after pictures.

PS - how should live rock smell? Some had a few purple mushroom corals on them, and I hope they survived the trip, or else I'll toss that rock. It smells kind of milky?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
Update: I noticed, some of the rocks have a little bit of a goo on them, while others are just fine. A few of the mushroom corals almost look melted and has this same type of goo. Should I throw this rock out? Some of this goo looks like has dripped onto the bottom of the tank and looks like brand new mushrooms? Whats going on?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
pics? theres a lot of potential "goo" in an AQ
I blame Craig AND his stupid List.
jessicasmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
sorry for the bad pics, but its with my camera phone, and tank is a bit of a mess too.

i may just throw it out, maybe the smell is from this, and they dont look all that great right now. Looks like crap. My roomate said it looks like somebody sneezed on a rock, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	from above.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	19888   Click image for larger version

Name:	mushrooms.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	19889  

Click image for larger version

Name:	side view.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	19890   Click image for larger version

Name:	goo that dripped onto bottom glass.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	19891  

Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to panza
i would avoid keeping the fish in the tank while aqua scaping for that can creat a ton of stress and you never know if youll drop a rock and it impales the poor guy =/ just the next time you do a watter change put the fish in the water you cyphen out do your aqua scaping and place them back in the tank. be as careful as possible not to crack the glass though.. who wants 75 gallons of water all over the floor? or a wasted fish tank

good luck!!!!

14 gallon bio cube
18 pounds of LR, lobophyllia, mushroom, yellow
colony polysp, unknown coral, a fire shrimp, and a yellow tailed
panza is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com