Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-25-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 90
New livestock questions

Couple of things about adding new livestock. First, how often should I do water changes on my 10gal QT. It has one 1/2 in Perc in it. I had a pair, but the second only lasted about 2 hours, includng the 1 hour acclimation. He looked fine at my LFS, and my remaining perc seems very comfortable has has been eating flakes for a day now. Tried to get a refund for the second perc, but no dice. Won't be going to that LFS anymore if I can help it.

Second, I am going to be getting a team of snails, one peppermint shrimp and one cleaner shrimp. They will be in my tank before any fish. What should I feed the shrimp? Would you recommend not getting shrimp before fish? Are these two types ok for beginners?

Third, the online vendor I am thinking about using advises getting the snails (and crabs, but I have learned from this forum it's best not to go down that road) into the tank as soon as possible, without a long acclimation period. Is this right?

TIA
__________________

__________________
29 gallon tank
40 lbs of LR
1.5 inches of LS
Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:18 AM   #2
steve-s
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New livestock questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnternet
Couple of things about adding new livestock. First, how often should I do water changes on my 10gal QT. It has one 1/2 in Perc in it. I had a pair, but the second only lasted about 2 hours, includng the 1 hour acclimation. He looked fine at my LFS, and my remaining perc seems very comfortable has has been eating flakes for a day now. Tried to get a refund for the second perc, but no dice. Won't be going to that LFS anymore if I can help it.
Water changes should be done as needed. Providing the NH3, NO2 and NO3 are under control, small weekly water changes should be enough. Also be sure you syphon out any uneaten foods and detritus daily (or as needed). It will help keep water quality issues at a minimum.

Quote:
Second, I am going to be getting a team of snails, one peppermint shrimp and one cleaner shrimp. They will be in my tank before any fish. What should I feed the shrimp? Would you recommend not getting shrimp before fish? Are these two types ok for beginners?
All those animals will be fine. The snails (depending on species) will fend for themselves. As far as the shrimp, use a few sinking pellets a few times a week. It should be plenty to keep them going as well as feeding the bacteria. Be aware with two shrimp species in a small tank there could be some aggression between the two. Be sure they are purchased small and added at the same time. Be sure to drip acclimate all of them for several hours as well.

Quote:
Third, the online vendor I am thinking about using advises getting the snails (and crabs, but I have learned from this forum it's best not to go down that road) into the tank as soon as possible, without a long acclimation period. Is this right?
Completely wrong. With inverts, the longer the acclimation period the better. Most are quite sensitive to changes in ph and salinity especially. Drip into the transport bag at the rate of 2-3 drops a second. This article should help... >>Drip acclimation<<

Cheers
Steve
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 90
Thanks much. My NH4 is at ~.12 and my NO2 at ~.2. DId a 20% water change today, and plan on doing another next weekend, if not midweek.

Hopefully both shrimp will be small, and they will surely be introduced together as they'll be arriving in the same box.
__________________
29 gallon tank
40 lbs of LR
1.5 inches of LS
Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:44 AM   #4
steve-s
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnternet
Thanks much. My NH4 is at ~.12 and my NO2 at ~.2.
If your test kit is designed for FW, I would suggest getting a different one. NH4 in a SW environment is harmless due to the higher pH values. You only need be concerned with the NH3.

Cheers
Steve
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 90
Sorry, I did mean NH3. I have SW test kits. Thanks for looking out for the details.
__________________
29 gallon tank
40 lbs of LR
1.5 inches of LS
Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live, livestock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too much livestock? solidsnakejv Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 08-19-2009 11:32 PM
New 125 gallon tank, livestock questions etc... SGT Henry Saltwater Reef Aquaria 6 09-18-2006 10:45 PM
New livestock from Marine Depot, some questions though! mdjxt39 Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 1 09-09-2006 05:22 PM
livestock questions deathmatch782 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 7 01-06-2006 01:25 PM
Livestock questions cj10488 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 1 11-29-2003 07:13 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.