Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2003, 12:04 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

New LR and guests

Well I ordered some LR and LS from Gulf-view yesterday about 10:30 and got a big surprise when the package got here at 9:00 this morning! That was fast!

Here is a pic of the rock. I was extremely happy. This batch as plants, orange coral/sponges? and many other colors.

The last 2 pics are some hitchhikers. Should I keep these? Are the stars brittle stars. I found 2 good ones and 2 that might be missing an arm or 2.

Also on the LS, I only got 10lbs. Can I just add it too the main tank or should I rinse it or inspect it?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2003, 12:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Here is the second hitchhiker pic ...

Old 11-05-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
cj10488

The last one looks like a Serpant Star to me.. Very nice to have in the tank.. I wouldnt put any of the crabs into the tank but the stars should be ok..

HTH,
James
Old 11-05-2003, 01:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Are most hitchiker crabs mean? I actually found a second one too. The one in the pic is almost like an emerald crap with the hair but is not really green. The other one is alot smaller.

I guess I could put them in the puffer tank
Old 11-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #5
cj10488

Most hitchhiker crabs that I have found in my tank have in some way or another caused problems.. IMO feed them to the puffer.. I feed all my hitchhiker crabs to my mantis in my "Mantis Tank" lol

General sense most crabs are not wanted for some reason or another.. I even found a "Cute" one but i still decided it was best to go into the "BAD" tank most of the crabs i got are stone crabs that I identified and its what yours sounds like as well.. I'll put it short but sweet.. Stone Crabs most people eat so they can get extremely big.. lol... Its kind of fun to tell people you "Got Crabs" too lol

HTH<
James
Old 11-05-2003, 01:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here is a link to a great website on Ophiuroids (your star) >>Ophiuroids in the Aquarium<<

IMO, keep the crabs out of the tank. Either put them in the sump, or as you have stated put them in with the puffer!!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com
NaH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks all. I have the stars in with the LR. From the smell of it, I expect little ammonia spike. The guy at gulf view said that no curing was really needed but I figured I should test it anyway to be safe. This rock smell like ocean not rot like the fiji rock did. I will say the Fiji was shipped 2 day but I got the gulf-view rock in amazing time - <12 hours.

The crabs went in the puffer tank. There are 4 red leg hermits in there now so they might make it. I think I will trade the dog puffer to the LFS. He is really too big for my tank. He will make a great addition for some one big tank
Old 11-05-2003, 03:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
that is some beautiful live rock.

I'm starting a 90 gallon in January, and I may use that company!!

Thanks for the pictures.
Todd
Old 11-05-2003, 04:21 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Looks good.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

One more question. Some of the rock I got has plants on it. One piece has some kind plant/coral on it and turns out it is one a clam or somekind of shell fish.

I tested for ammonia and it was only up slightly. What are the chances of this stuff surviving?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com