new lr question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

first-timer89

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do I need to have ready before 25 pounds of lr comes. I have a 20 gallon ready for the lr. What do I need and what do I do when it comes?
thanks for any advice :)

Open box and put in tank :) As long as there is no fish in the tank that is all you need to do. If you have fish then you could have a problem.... Cycle from the die off....

balasharkfreak said:
oh, so the sand goes in after the rock. Didnt think it would work that way. Thanks malkore!
Actually it doesn't really matter either way. Adding the sand before or at the same time as the rock would actually allow for more critters from the rock and any die off to help seed the sand.

If the rock is being cured as a precaution to adding in an existing set up then sand wouldn't be advisable.

Cheers
Steve

2 quick notes...

Mix the saltwater at least 24 (48 is better) hours before putting the rock in. Water that hasn't thoroughly mixed will add to your die-off. (I made that mistake once..)

I would add the sand immediately after the rock. Putting the rock in first makes sure it is touching the bottom of the tank and prevents things from tipping over later if you get some sand-stirring critters in there. Once it is setup and you can see well enough, then go ahead and add the sand. It will be cloudy for awhile, but it will settle down eventually.

hth.

Nate c

You might want to also remove anything that is dying or decaying off your rock before you put it in your tank.

I think I read somewhere that mixing some saltwater in a bucket and then placing the rock into the bucket to get all the critters into the water and you can choose what critters you want to keep or dispose of then place that rock into the tank.

technically you can add the sand before or after the LR. The reason I tend to go with after, is so your LR is sitting firming on the bottom glass. If it were resting on sand, the sand could shift from currents or burrowing creatures, potentially making the rock shift which could make other rocks fall.

Back
Top Bottom