Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2005, 01:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

new mandarin diet

jus recently got a green mandarin and i know they naturally eat the ...pods that are on the rock. but are there any tricks to make them eat the marine cuisine or brine shrimp or anything of that matter? i even heard sometimes theyll eat algae. any feedback wanted i have been wanting a mandarin ever since i got the tank 2 yrs ago. and id really like to keep it healthy and fed right. please give any and all advice. hunter

Old 12-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is very rare for manderins to accept prepared food. A plentiful population of pods is certainly needed. How much LR do you currently have? do you have a sump or fuge?

Old 12-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
steve-s

What Lando says is quite true but you may also want to consider....

http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/...plendidus.html

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-19-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my mandarin eats frozen mysis shrimp thawed and soaked in selcon. he also eats live brine which i gut load with selcon. the advice i have is to try to feed your other fish a little pre feeding snack. keep the food small and the biggest thing i have found is to turn off the pumps when you drop the food in and always drop the food in the same place. i use a place that i see my mandarin hanging out at the most.

steve r
Old 12-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I would have to agree with the above post.

My mandarine eats a combination of mysis and brine shrimp.

I have found the key was to turn of my power heads and filters while I am feeding so that the Mandarine doesn't have to chase after any food...mine likes to "browse" around on the bottom and doesn't like to go chasing after his meals.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Nothing much to say anymore lol.

Just do that be ready for it not to eat it. Most will not even notice it. There have been a lot of cases lately but it does not mean yours will be the same.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Mine was bought up on frozen foods. I hand feed it marine green, brine shrimp and plankton.
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks ill def try to turn the pumps off. hopefully ill have my own mini miracle.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
MOST Mandarine purchased from the LFS die from starvation. Even if your Mandarine were to eat prepared foods, they need pods to thrive. Please understand the special needs these beautiful creatures must have to make it in the home aquarium.

What is your tank size, how much live rock do you have, what other fish do you have, do you have a sump/fuge?
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
I tend to disagree, I have a sixline and mandarin in my 100gal and both are thriving without pods as they have wiped out the majority of them. Although on prepared foods they share a tank with tangs and an angel so i have a little contraption (thanks to Melevs website) to ensure the mandarin especially gets target fed.

My mandarin has lived successfully for years without having pods to thrive..

But keep in mind that this is a minority case.. as Dragon said most mandarins from LFS are plucked straight from reefs and do not readily accept frozen foods

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
die, diet, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com