Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New member - help me pick a new fish!

So I just joined this forum and I have a few questions, i have a 75 gallon fish only saltwater tank, I have an emperor 400 with established bio- wheels and a fluval 306 canister filter along with an eshopps hang on back protein skimmer, the tank has been up for almost a year now. I use ro water and test water parameters three times a week with a 20 gallon water change every week along with cleaning the filters. I was wondering if you guys new of any good butterfly fish or small angel fish that I could add to my tank. I have live rock along with some decorations. But my main concern is I want the new fish to get along with the fish I have in the tank. This is my first saltwater tank so I would like one that doesn't require special care. The fish I have in the tank now are as follows: 1 diamond watchman goby, 2 goby fire fish , 1 purple dotty back, 1 algae Benny, 1 yellow eyed kole tang, 3 blue damsels females, and 5 blue/ green reef chromis. I'm looking for suggestions?

ajb196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Id say you have enought fish for a 75.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
No offense intended at all, but you may have scared some advisors at "bio-wheel" and "canister." Best luck to you☺️
lstimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
You already have to many fish for that size tank
Scelzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
No more fish but how about some inverts
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I also think you may be at your fish limit for a 75g. If you were to get another one I would go with one fish that isnt too too big. The filtration is fine in my eyes, it has been stable for a year so its probably ok with adding some more bioload.
But if you do add something else just be extra cautious and keep an eye on the parameters.
I only say one more fish since a couple of the existing fish are pretty small and dont really take up tank space. As for a suggestion on fish, well I dont know. lol
You have a nice mix now of sand dwellers and cave dwellers and a good amount of swimmy fish like the chromis.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thank you all for the suggestions and on the inverts I am hoping to do those when I get more live rock. I'm planning on building a nice huge arch and some caves out of rock. But I was wondering if I would need to put a power head behind them in the back of the tank so that the algae doesn't build up to bad. The tank has good flow at the moment.

ajb196 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com