New member needs help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephen76

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, as the title suggest i am a new member here and i have been reading on here for the past two weeks and found out so much usualful information that i have not really needed to post but now........
I have a 750 liter or 196g tank and am converting to salt. I plan to use a tunze or turbofloater t1000 skimmer along with around 6000 liter an hour submersible in a 30g sump .I was also going to use aroung 4000l/h more internal circulation. Does this sound feasible /workable and what would my lighing requirements be for this????.I was think 2 10k MH ,a actinic and a flouro day light.
Please excuse my terminology as i say im a newby

Well i think the circulation will definatly be there with those two figures you provide.

One thing you might want to consiter is a larger sump. Maybe a 55 gal sump. The reason is that should water flow stop in your tank the water will backflow (unless you use a check valve) into the sump until air can enter into the return lines (usually the returns are lower in the tank than the drains). A 30 gal sump really does not give much room for the water level to drop before the sump is full and overflowing.

What are you looking to keep in your tank? The types of corals you want to keep will drive our suggestions for lighting. What you describe so far sounds like very good all around lighting. What are the dimentions of your tank?

I will have a look for a bigger sump i am interested in keeping a full range of corals ( soorry i cant list them) but to start with i will obviously have only live rock and a couple of fish then proceed from there. Does anyone know a good supplier in Australia?????.
Dimensions of tank are 1950mm long 650mm high and 6oomm wide i think its jsut under 6 and a half by 2 and a half by 2 and a half
I have the t1000 can be a pain to set up ?????is this true?.I believe in marine aquaria you dont put mechanical foams and materials in the sump as it is a nitrate farm but i am wondering how you get the water so crystal claer/. Are skimmers that good?.
CHEERS STEPHEN

skimmers help a lot, but a lot of folks also turn their sumps into refugiums by adding additional LS and LR to the sump along with macro algaes to help polish the water a little as well as help keep nusance algaes out of your display tank.

in regards to your t1000, I remember seeing a discussio on here recently where someone was having trouble getting their t1000 set up properly... [digging...] here ya go... TurboFloater 1000

Back
Top Bottom