New Nano help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miketeachme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been setting up my nano cube 24 gallon. I have the salt temp and live sand. What should I do next? Buy live rock or should something else be done first?

image-1458604303.jpg

Miketeachme said:
I have been setting up my nano cube 24 gallon. I have the salt temp and live sand. What should I do next? Buy live rock or should something else be done first?

If your going to add live rock, do it now before the cycle starts. If you add a lot of LR after the cycle, you could set off a mini cycle. Then throw in shrimp or put in ammonia, what ever you're gonna cycle with and wait... And test... And wait... And test. And repeat til cycle is over. :)

I now have my live rock and have added a few fish. Thanks.

image-1993147540.jpg

I think he's doing fish-in cycling? Personally I prefer fishless cycling and more rock. Maybe get some cool base rock pieces to make arches and caves and such. Good start though! :) Are you going to do a FOWLR or reef tank?

I want to have a reef eventually. I'm not sure how or what to do next.

Do you have a protein skimmer? I recommend getting one of these soon.

Take your time setting this tank up. It will pay off in the end.

Personally i dont think you should have any fish in there just yet. You're risking them dying due to the cycle.

Miketeachme said:
I want to have a reef eventually. I'm not sure how or what to do next.

Do you have a saltwater test kit? If not, recommend you get one even if its a cheap one like API. That way youll know when your tank is cycled. As for going reef, a skimmer is not required since your tank is a nano. Good light and consistent water changes can get you by. I highly recommend one because it cleans the nasty gunk out of your water.

begginersluck said:
A skimmer will help reduce water changes though. My tank rarely requires water changes because of its filtration including the skimmer.

A skimmer picks up waste before it gets broken into nitrate thats why you have the ability to slack on water changes. But that should not be a reason to neglect them. WCs have other benefits than just reducing waste. In Mikes case, hes running an AIO nano so does not have a fuge or anything to replenish nutrients or keep a stable PH, cal, alk, etc. Skimmer or not, WCs will still be important for him. I agree that skimming is important. My skimmer is rated for more than 3 times my tank volume. Thats how much i love skimmers but i also do my WCs everyother week if not every week.

I wouldnt say i neglect water changes but i certainly have a benefit having a skimmer. A friend of mine told me he hasn't done a water change in over a year which i found a little off at first but the guy has over 8 years reef experience and his tank looks amazing! Strange to me!

Yea my cousin goes a year without WCs but he has a fowlr and vodka doses with heavy skimming. Its crazy that your friend has success that way with reef.

I have the API test kit and all looks fine. I am cleaning algae from the nano cube walls daily. Is that normal? I don't know if I need a protein skimmer or not.

Back
Top Bottom