Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-05-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
New Nassarius Snails and Wrasse

I ordered a bunch of Nassarius snails online and they were delivered last night. I was told the best way to acclimate them is to put them in a separate bucker of tank water with an air stone and wait for them to start moving around and then add them one at a time as they become active. That part all went well.

After dropping them into my tank my Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis) went crazy. I thought this wrasse was reef safe but he began attacking every snail that he could find. It seems that he was biting off the tip of each snails' snout. He continued to do this to every snail he found.

Now, all the snails are alive and moving around, but their snouts are all shorter than before. Is this ok? Will they still survive and be efficient at cleaning the tank? What was my wrasse doing? Any insight would be appreciated.

tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
"Reef safe" is a relative term that shouldn't be relied upon too much, especially with wrasses. They will quite commonly attack and eat snails depending on species, especially when they reach adulthood. Keep in mind they have become accustom to you dropping food into the tank so the snails would be considered fair game. I find the best time to introduce these types of inverts is after lights out. The snails can enter the tank unhindered after the wrasse has gone to bed.

It's not a guarantee it will leave them alone but the chances of predacean is usually much lower.

nassarius, snail, snails, wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com