Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-14-2005, 07:00 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via MSN to Benson112
Hi again,

Ok after a fair bit of re-search i have decided against sw and am now sticking to what i know, tropical fish.

I have purchased an under-gravel filter (which i am seriously confused about...ill get back to this though), gravel, one or two ornaments. The tank is filled and ill be treating the water tonight. Im not rushing into putting the fish in there i want to get it just right.

Ok so onto the undergravel filter....maybe i should start a new thread for this but....It comes in many different parts. The first of which are three jigsaw like parts which clip together and lay on the bottom of the tank. The other bits are 3 tubes, 3 connectors (to connect the tupes to the base) and 3 carbon filters. The instructions are lame. It says in the instructions to set up the filter as shown in the picture, in the picture there are 2 tubes connected to the base, one with a carbon filter on top and one with a powerhead (the kit didnt come with a powerhead). I was just wondering if any of you guys had experience with under gravel filters and what i need to do to set it up correctly. So far i have connected one tube with one carbon filter. I do not have a powerhead, do i need one??

Benson112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I do not have a powerhead, do i need one??
Some riser tubes use air bubbles driven by air pumps, others use powerheads (one of top of each riser). Did yours come with air stones? Do the instructions mention air stones at all? Are there short pieces of rigid tubing enclosed with the kit. Probably should have been my first question: how big is the tank?

I've used UGFs in the past, but mine only had two tubes and were powered by air bubbles - suitable (maybe) only for a small tank. I also used it in my livebearer bredding tank. Both of my FW tanks (55 gal and 90 gal) have external filters now, so I'm a bit "out of the loop" on undergravels.

30 gal standard 55 lbs LR, 60 lb live sand, 10 gal sump/refugium. Urchin skimmer, mag7 pump, 3 x 96W PC combination 10,000K/actinic bulb, 2 blue LED moonlights
SG 1.024, temp 79.5, pH 8.4

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via MSN to Benson112
The tank is 36" x 18" x 12" (dont know how many gallons that is!)

The kit included:

3 base bits which click together to cover the full length of the tank
3 hollow rigid tubes about 2" thick
3 connectors to connect the tubes to the base
3 carbon filters which click onto the top of the tubes (each one of these has some thin flexible tubing which goes inside the bigger tubes about 4 5th of the way down)

The instructions dont mention air stones no :-( Its so confusing!!

Benson112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com