Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Benson112
New person here!

Hi all,

Ive just moved into a new house and we decided that we wanted a fish tank. Ive kept tropical fish in the past and to be honest ive never really been that good at maintaining it. So this time i want to do it properly.

The problem i have is the girlfriend....see i want fresh water tropical fish as ive had before, however she wants to be "different" and has a facination for nemo therefore wants percula clown fish. Now to do this i know the tank will have to be salt water.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some general tips on getting started with a salt water tank, what the differences are between maintaining salt and fresh water tanks (apart from the salty water that is! haha), ideas for the different types of fish i may come across for my tank etc.

Thanks people,

Phil

Old 02-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is an OVERWHELMING amount of material available online that you shoud search and read. The people on this board offer WONDERFUL help and advice, but there is no substitute for thorough and careful research.

You might start here:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/startinganaquarium/

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for your help, ill have a thorough read through as soon as i get change....

Just one quick question you may be able to answer for me, i know with a fresh water tank you are supposed to fill the tank and leave it to stand for a while before adding fish, i presume its the same for salt water fish. Do you know how long this needs to be?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Or Robert Fenner's book, "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is a good read also. Available in the library at this site.

Welcome to AA too!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I can see this is going to take alot more time and effort than previously thought....and i have a disorder with reading more than one page of hard text...its called lazyitus!

I will try my best though, thanks again for the help!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
We also have a growing series of articles on our site.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=42920
Also take a few hours and just read through the 100s of threads in the "getting started" forum. Many answers can be found right here is our community.
Welcome!!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT

Read all about the nitrogen cycle (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) before putting critters in your tank.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Patience Grasshopper, the main key to sw.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm new to SW as well, as a matter of fact this is my first post on this forum. I just finished " Natural Reef Aquariums - Tullock", it really lays out all the different ways of setting one up, putting emphasis on natural of course. It was really helpful and I'm in the planning stage now, hopefully starting the purchases in a few weeks.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I highly recommend researching for at least 2 weeks straight before buying anything! you cannot rush this hobby and expect good results...

It will take 2-4 weeks AFTER you get the tank filled before it's ready for fish.

The short list for the lazy: Biggest tank you can afford (no less than 30), GOOD protein skimmer, 1.5lb of live rock per gallon and 10x gph water movement (so 300gph for a 30gal at least). Good test kits, good water (RODI, either bought, or made with your own rodi off ebay (90-140$). PATIENCE.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com