Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
jezlenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 70
Looking forward to getting some Corals soon.
Any Suggestions please ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-335773557.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	68729   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-291669759.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	68730  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1472221307.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	68731   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4050205012.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	68732  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-949680920.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	68734   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3570195853.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	68735  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2817550868.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	68737  
__________________

__________________
jezlenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 72
How old is the tank?

Do you have any livestock in there or is it cycling?

Do you have a CUC in there? If so what does it consist of?

Its common for new tanks to have algae but that looks like quite a bit in there. Are you using RO/DI water?
__________________

__________________
tdubrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Leighton79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mansfield UK
Posts: 423
Hello,

I wouldn't be putting anything living in there for the foreseeable future.

I've seen hair algae but that's something else.....
__________________
Leighton79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
jezlenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton79
Hello,

I wouldn't be putting anything living in there for the foreseeable future.

I've seen hair algae but that's something else.....
Any suggestions to help get rid of it, and should I do a water change.
Thanks
__________________
jezlenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezlenton

Any suggestions to help get rid of it, and should I do a water change.
Thanks
Use rodi if you dont already
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 72
Cant really help until we know some more specifics:

Size of tank in gallons:
Age of tank: (days? Weeks? Years?)
Sump/Filter:
Skimmer:
nitrate:
ammonia:
temperature:
Water source (ro, ro/di, tap)
Salinity:
Alkalinity:
Lights:
Livestock:
__________________
tdubrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
jezlenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdubrow
Cant really help until we know some more specifics:

Size of tank in gallons:
Age of tank: (days? Weeks? Years?)
Sump/Filter:
Skimmer:
nitrate:
ammonia:
temperature:
Water source (ro, ro/di, tap)
Salinity:
Alkalinity:
Lights:
Livestock:
Tank is 40 gallon
Age is 8 weeks
Sump is 5 gallon
Skimmer is Fluval 400
Nitrate = 0 ammonia = 0 PH = 8.2 Nitrite = 0
Temp is 25c
Water source is RO pre mixed marine
Salinity is 1.020
Lights are led reef day & moon. 4 x 18"
Livestock is just CUC of 8 crabs & 4 snails.

Thanks
__________________
jezlenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Leighton79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mansfield UK
Posts: 423
You should try and get a phosphate reading as that will be fueling the hair algae along with nitrates, they are reading 0 because the uglies are using them to grow.
__________________
Leighton79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 72
I would suggest starting with a tds meter and testing your source water. I would also think about getting a phosphate removing media such as GFO.

Did you start with dry rock or was it live. If it was live rock, where did you get it? I remember when I first started out I added some live rock from the LFS that had a little HA on it. In my newly established tank it just took off and grew like crazy.

Also, how did you cycle the tank?

I guess overfeeding is out of the questions because you only have a cuc.

Its very common to get algae in a newly established tank so don't get too discouraged. Main thing is to figure out what is causing it and then move forward from there. Patience is the key.

Try to manually remove some of it from the sand bed and if the rocks are bad, just try and scrub them off a little at a time. Make sure you rinse the rock in RO water before putting back in tank.

Good luck, and like I said, don't get discouraged.
__________________
tdubrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
jezlenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdubrow
I would suggest starting with a tds meter and testing your source water. I would also think about getting a phosphate removing media such as GFO.

Did you start with dry rock or was it live. If it was live rock, where did you get it? I remember when I first started out I added some live rock from the LFS that had a little HA on it. In my newly established tank it just took off and grew like crazy.

Also, how did you cycle the tank?

I guess overfeeding is out of the questions because you only have a cuc.

Its very common to get algae in a newly established tank so don't get too discouraged. Main thing is to figure out what is causing it and then move forward from there. Patience is the key.

Try to manually remove some of it from the sand bed and if the rocks are bad, just try and scrub them off a little at a time. Make sure you rinse the rock in RO water before putting back in tank.

Good luck, and like I said, don't get discouraged.
Thanks for all that.
All my media is sourced from my local aquatic store and they are 100%.
I have just got some emerald crabs and snails so now I will just wait.
__________________

__________________
jezlenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pics, reef, reef aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reef aquarium dying leightond Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 6 01-02-2012 04:16 PM
Switching to new filter in established aquarium. mcarlson815 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 5 10-05-2011 01:22 AM
What is the best filter system for a reef aquarium alex787 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 10-02-2011 08:22 PM
T5 vs T8 in reef aquarium Jan Levine Saltwater Reef Aquaria 7 10-01-2011 03:30 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.