New Power Compact light how long should I set it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob3077

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a power compact light with dawn/dusk/moonlight features. How long should I keep it on each feature? I'm probably going to set up a timer but I need to know how long I should set it first. Also, would this generate more heat than a regular florescent light? Thanks for the help.

Robert

55 gallon tank w/live rock/live sand and bio balls.
1 Naso Tang
1 Blue Tang
1 Flame Angel
2 Chromises
1 goby
1 banded shrimp
lots of crabs and snails.

Most keep the moonlights on 24/7 and run there light about 8 hours. Yes, they will generate more heat than a standard flour light, but the fan should help a bit. Make sure if you have glass tops or a canopy you keep an eye on the temps and throw an extra fan or so on there if needed.

I would run start the actinics and run them for 10hrs run the Daylights for about 8hrs and the moonlights for about 8 hours at night.. and have a couple hours dark..

Typical suggestion

Actinics 10am On
Daylight 11am On
Daylight 7pm Off
Actinics 8pm Off
Moonlight 8pm on
moonlight 4am off

Thats how I would do it only set it at the hours that I would want to run them..

HTH<
James

How long should I keep it on each feature?
Most people with PC 's do a 12 hour light cycle...1 hour dawn lighting, 10 hours of full lighting, 1 hour dusk lighting. I've never done moonlights, I would imagine you could keep them on for 3 or 4 hours overnight.

Also, would this generate more heat than a regular florescent light?
PC lighting does generate more heat than NO lighting. If your fixture has fans built into then you shouldn't have much of a problem. HTH

I think your best bet is to send me the new light fixture so I can test it out for you. After a year or so I will prepare a written proposal for you. LOL. I agree with everyone else. My actinics come on at noon, off at 10 pm. My 10,000 K come on at 1 pm, off at 9 pm. I do not have monlights so I can not comment on that. What light did you get? Do you like the moonlight feature, how does your tank look under them? I have been thinking about getting some.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going to try that schedule. The moon lights do look great. Its really soothing. My wife keeps falling asleep watching the tank. I'm getting tired carrying her to bed... LOL

Back
Top Bottom