New Protein Skimmer. Removing Filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just put on my first protein skimmer on my 27 gallon cube. It's HOB Reef Octopus BH 100. I have been using AquaClear 70 filter. When is it time to ditch the AC 70 filter? I am thinking that it might be in the way of protein breaking in by filtering the water but at the same time I don't want to remove the filter too early and kill my fish. Please advise. Thanks.

image-304541478.jpg

It will take a few days maybe even up to 3-4 weeks before it 's running at max(skimmer) Why not keep the AC70? You can run carbon,gfo or what ever in it. IMO you can never have to much filtration If your set on removing it wait until the skimmer is making foam then remove the AC-70 wait 2-3 days and test the water for Nitrates

It will take a few days maybe even up to 3-4 weeks before it 's running at max(skimmer) Why not keep the AC70? You can run carbon,gfo or what ever in it. IMO you can never have to much filtration If your set on removing it wait until the skimmer is making foam then remove the AC-70 wait 2-3 days and test the water for Nitrates

Thanks. I don't want to keep it bc it's 8 inches long on a 20 inch long aquarium. I can return it to Petsmart and get $52 back and invest in a 3" long 12 inch high phosphate reactor. That's the reason why I would like to get rid of it.

I'd return it in a heartbeat and get the reactor you can still run carbon and gfo in it

If you need hang on back filtration, what type of reactor do you intend on using?

Back
Top Bottom