New Red Sea Max 250

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBuchanan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this but as everyone knows it is a must to do all of the research before getting into this hobby. After reading several books I decided to get the Rsm 250. It has been up and running for 3 months now. I have 100lbs of live rock and 80lbs of sand, two peppermint shrimp and two clowns. I have a great clean up crew and my tank is factory except the chiller that I added and the chemipure. I have a ro/di unit that I use to mix my own water. The problem that I have is after 3 months I still don't have great water quality. Ammonia: .1
Nitrite: .1
Nitrate: 25ppm
Ph: 8.3
I have some green and brown alage but not much as I only run my lights 6 hrs a day. I do a 10% water change once a week and i feed the fish sparingly. I want to get some corals but don't feel as if the tank is ready yet. Any advice would be much appreciated.

How often do you do a partial water change? Was it a new tank when you got it? (old lights can lead to some probs) have you tested your kit against another(lfs)? And finally, have you tested your ro/di water to make sure thats pure?

Nm i see the 10%pwc weekly the others are still valid questions though

I haven't tested my ro water. And I have used the same test kit since I started the tank is new and it came with the test kit. Any advice on a good dependable test kit?

api and salifert make good test kits api is cheaper but salifert is more expensive but a little more sensitive

Before buying another have your lfs test it and see how it compares if theres a difference then spend themoneyona new kit.

kurtyboh said:
Before buying another have your lfs test it and see how it compares if theres a difference then spend themoneyona new kit.

K thanks for all of the help. Anyone know a good replacement skimmer for the red sea max 250?

Thanks for the advice I got a new test kit...API, and my water is in excellent condition. Thanks for all of the help.

Back
Top Bottom