New RedSea Reefer 425XL Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedSeaReefer425

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,
So I have decided to make the dive into Salt water and I will officially be starting to build and start cycling my new tank in 3 days. I have been putting together all the equipment that I think I'll need for a successful tank because although I might just start off with Fish and a clean up crew i do want coral in the future.

So i wanted to use this thread to get helpful tips along my way as I run in to either any questions I might have or just flat out a problem. Obviously I feel the best place to get quality information is from people who have done this before so any tips or advice is welcome.I will definitely being posting pictures and keeping you guys updated on my build as i progress.

Here is what I have so far for my aquarium:
Tank: RedSea Reefer 425 XL
Pump: M1 Vectra EcoTech
Lights: 2 Radion Pro Gen 3 EcoTech
Powerhead: MP40 EcoTech
Apex Neptune System
Protein Skimmer:Octo-150-int
Reef Link system
And I just got all my life and dry rock today.

So again if there's any helpful tips for cycling a new tank that anyone post thanks in advance!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay I just added some pictures of my equipment that I'll be using in my tank, just have a couple of questions as I get closer to start cycling my tank.
First of all I have a combination of shelf and branch life rock and also some regular Dry life rock that I'm going to be using for my aquarium and wanted to know if there's any curing process for rocks or I'm i okay to go straight to the tank?

Also, is life rock the way to go or should i just stick with dry rock?
Any advice helps?

You can cure the rock in the tank as it cycles. Most likely everything will be just fine, though some have reported macro rock leaching phosphates into the water column.

Great thanks for the heads up I'll make sure to keep an eye on that.
Also, any advice on my first batch of water that will be going in the tank?Is it better to make the salt water first in a "Brute" or can I go ahead and pour the water from the Ro/DI and begin mixing in the salt and getting it up to temp all with in the tank? Keep in mind I won't have anything in the tank yet.
Thanks again

Before cycling, it is the one and only time you can mix it up in your tank. Make sure all your rock and sand is in the tank first or displacement can easily give you a mess on your hands.

Great thanks for the heads up, well tomorrow is the day I start the build and I'll make sure to add some pictures and I know I'll have more questions. Thanks again for your advice!!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471539892.338463.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471539903.967471.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471539914.535528.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471539922.836882.jpg

The build has begun should have water by the end of today.

So here's the plan for adding the water if I'm wrong on something please let me know!!!

1) add live sand
2) add live rock and do aquascape
3)add equipment (Powerheads and heater)
4) add water from DI/RO system into tank
5) begin to add salt mix

Is this correct?
Any info helps thanks!!!!!

Rock before sand. This way the rock is secured by the sand. If the rock is on top and the sand shifts when you install the power heads or whatever, they can fall over and cause major issues.

Hey everyone here's a quick update on my tank....
Got it all put together got all the equipment setup will be adding water tonight.....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471923106.184913.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471923142.642316.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471923167.626472.jpg

Sorry for the last update but I've added the water to my tank. I have my parameters where I want them and now I'm just trying to get the protein skimmer right were i want it. So how long should I wait before adding my first fish and inverts???
Any advice helps thanks, ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472671182.519131.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472671195.520061.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472671211.137158.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472671221.938598.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472671235.390327.jpg

I think I might also have to raise the skimmer a bit, looks to submerged

Back
Top Bottom