New Reef Advise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so Im going to the petstore tomarrow, snow willing. Im looking to pick up a new coral. Im not sure what to start with, Ive got a Frag with some zoas on it. which are devoloping more since theyve been in the tank.

The Current stock is a Clown fish, a firefish, and Scooter blenny(Yes I feed him Pods). Few snails and hermit crabs. Im looking to maybe add another Frag. My light is a T5HO 216watt(4 Bulb). 55 Gal Tank With DYI HoB Fuge.

As of 12/13/12 The Water Parms:
PH: 8.3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 400Ish

Im gonna test again later today and drop a post in this thread.

Few corals im looking in to are Green Star Polyps, Xenia, Maybe Feather Duster, Mushrooms, Ricordea, More Zoas. Any tips on nice looking coarls are welcome.

The tank is roughly 7 Months old, Seed with 20 pounds Live rock, 30 Pounds dry rock.

Also looking into some good Supplments to boost the coral health, I have kalk, looking in to some Iodine, Strontium and Molydenum. Again Tips are Helpful. This is my First Reef and want to do it right.

One thing with additives, don't dose what you qrent testing.

As for coral selection, look on liveaquaria for the details on what your thinking for light and care needs, then see what your store has and what you like.

Agreed.... don't add anything you aren't testing for, and the corals you have listed really don't require any supplements that regular pwc's won't supply.

Parameters look good for your desired corals. A lot of the soft corals do well in nutrient rich water, but I would still try to keep the nitrates below 5.

Ok so Im going to the petstore tomarrow, snow willing. Im looking to pick up a new coral. Im not sure what to start with, Ive got a Frag with some zoas on it. which are devoloping more since theyve been in the tank.

The Current stock is a Clown fish, a firefish, and Scooter blenny(Yes I feed him Pods). Few snails and hermit crabs. Im looking to maybe add another Frag. My light is a T5HO 216watt(4 Bulb). 55 Gal Tank With DYI HoB Fuge.

As of 12/13/12 The Water Parms:
PH: 8.3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 400Ish

Im gonna test again later today and drop a post in this thread.

Few corals im looking in to are Green Star Polyps, Xenia, Maybe Feather Duster, Mushrooms, Ricordea, More Zoas. Any tips on nice looking coarls are welcome.

The tank is roughly 7 Months old, Seed with 20 pounds Live rock, 30 Pounds dry rock.

Also looking into some good Supplments to boost the coral health, I have kalk, looking in to some Iodine, Strontium and Molydenum. Again Tips are Helpful. This is my First Reef and want to do it right.

I really like my green star polyps and they spread fairly quickly. Feather dusters are cool, I have a white/pink one, brown/white and a double pink one. They're pretty cool. Some hermits will eat them, though. Luckily, mine haven't yet. Mushrooms are easy and pretty. Ricordeas are my new thing, only have 1 bright yellow one, but want more. Any of those would be fine. I would just see if any of those looks colorful and healthy when you get to the LFS and go from there. Happy shopping!! :)

Back
Top Bottom