Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New reef tank

Hi new to this form and haven't had any questions until now. I have a 30 gallon saltwater that I was thinking about turning into reef tank to give it a go again( had a 60 gallon reef before I sold it). Would I need a protein skimmer for a tank as small as a 30 gallons or could I just get away with frequent water changes?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No you don't need the skimmer on a 30 , wc's will work just fine, but I would say that's about the cutoff IMO.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
No you don't need the skimmer on a 30 , wc's will work just fine, but I would say that's about the cutoff IMO.

Ok thanks for the help any advice on a good reef salt? Or do all salts include the same trace elements?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

They are all pretty close...there are a handful of us that rotate different salts to make up for one thing that one brand might be lacking. I personally like Kent the best in terms of mixing and higher levels for my skeleton building corals.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
They are all pretty close...there are a handful of us that rotate different salts to make up for one thing that one brand might be lacking. I personally like Kent the best in terms of mixing and higher levels for my skeleton building corals.

+1. As long as it's a reef grade salt. As hank said they all mix at different levels, so it really becomes a personal preference. I myself use Red Sea coral pro for much of the same reasons that hank used kent so it just shows that any reef grade salt will do.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #6

Ok thanks for the help kent it is because I'm defiantly going to have some acropora in my tank so a high calcium salt would be best. Any recommendations fur power heads for the tank?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
+1. As long as it's a reef grade salt. As hank said they all mix at different levels, so it really becomes a personal preference. I myself use Red Sea coral pro for much of the same reasons that hank used kent so it just shows that any reef grade salt will do.

Ok will go to my lfs and see what they recommend for high calcium reef grade salt mix and mention kent and Red Sea coral pro. Thanks for the help
Old 04-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Try both and decide which you like better. In all honesty, pricing is always about the same on salts... I try to buy what's on sale as best that I can.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbay View Post
Ok will go to my lfs and see what they recommend for high calcium reef grade salt mix and mention kent and Red Sea coral pro. Thanks for the help

Be careful with asking advice from lfs with things like this as most will tell you that you need to purchase all kinds of additives and dose the tank with them. You do not, no matter what they tell you, this is how they make the majority of their profits. You will get all the elements you need from reef grade salt mixes.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #10

Ok thanks for the advice. I may but just a few additives though just for emergencies.

Tags
new reef tank, reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com