Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsy View Post
Anything in terms of placement? Shall I put it in a hole in the LR?
Also flow and light?

Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'd leave it where it is, it looks happy with it's polyps out. Mine liked moderate to higher flow when I had it and it will survive in any lighting

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

snowflake clowns are usually that expensive. i bought mine for about $15 and i just seen the Petco near me selling them for $30-40 i believe. so not too bad. i jumped the gun and bought a yellow-stripe maroon with 2 misbars...wish i would of held out for a naked clown.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
snowflake clowns are usually that expensive. i bought mine for about $15 and i just seen the Petco near me selling them for $30-40 i believe. so not too bad. i jumped the gun and bought a yellow-stripe maroon with 2 misbars...wish i would of held out for a naked clown.
That's cheap! I asked in the LFS tonight and snowflakes are 199.99£ a pair!

Thanks B! Will leave it there then! What do you think to the leather placement??
Old 12-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Who recommended kenya tree? If you stay in this hobby you will end up hating the fact that you have that in your tank. It spreads like crazy and is about the ugliest coral out there. Very hard to eradicate. I suggest you give it away. There are many other corals that are as easy to grow and aren't a nuisance.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Who recommended kenya tree? If you stay in this hobby you will end up hating the fact that you have that in your tank. It spreads like crazy and is about the ugliest coral out there. Very hard to eradicate. I suggest you give it away. There are many other corals that are as easy to grow and aren't a nuisance.
Someone on this thread actually!

What else would you say is easy X?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
These are dual t5ho lights? You won't be able to keep a nem under those light conditions and you will also want to wait until the tank is around 6 months old before trying even if you acquire the proper lighting for it. Assuming this is a standard 16" tall tank you could easily keep softies and zoanthids. Some of my favs when I started were pulsing xenia, kenya tree, and a finger leather. The xenia and kenya tree are nice because they are the proverbial miner's canary when it comes to issues with water parameters. They will show changes when the parameters are out of whack before most other corals will, although they easily bounce back. The shrimp will eat whatever you feed the fish really. My cleaner shrimp went absolutely nuts for frozen mysis though although it was happy with flake food as well. Yes, that is true about the clowns. It's easier to buy two that live together or buy one that is quite a bit larger than the other. I bought mine from separate tanks but one was about 2/3 the size of the other and they actually didn't fight at all.
Here it is!
Old 12-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsy View Post
Someone on this thread actually! What else would you say is easy X?
My first coral was a mushroom. Then zoas. Those are the only softies I have in my tank as of now, and probably all I'll ever have. But I mean, a Kenya isn't too bad of a beginner. Mebbid wasn't wrong. They're impossible to kill. Keep it in the sand (as far away from rocks as possible!!!!!!), and bring it back after a few weeks or a month. Just long enough so you know you can keep softies.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I completely disagree with the reasoning behind keeping something like this. I have tossed kenya tree branches in a sump and it lived for years under just a curly-q energy saver bulb. I've also sat pieces in a container of water and left it there for a week with no flow, light, or heat, and it remained alive.
I would say it's the poorest gauge for water quality you can use.

Keeping this is no guarantee you can keep less hardy corals, which is what you will want anyway.
Brilliant barbs said "Keep it in the sand (as far away from rocks as possible!!!!!!)" because it's terribly invasive. It also kills most corals that come in contact with it.
Keeping this in your tank is no different than keeping aptasia anemones.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I dont have the extreme view that Mr X has regarding it, but I will say it is terribly invasive and will over run your tank in no time. Same with xenia. I actually had to give away those corals to people cause it just spread like a weed. The kenya will just drop branches and spread that way, it really will grow anywhere under any light. lol

I would have suggested zooas, palys and maybe a toadstool after knowing what I learned after starting with similar corals. lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com