Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Regular

Forgot the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-289360263.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	209199  

Old 11-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That's actually what happened to me with my first tank but sadly I stocked up on corals and inverts before the ich hit.

You have a couple things you could do.

1. Return any inverts and the piece of live rock you have with the coral growing on it (assuming you care if it lives or not) and perform a hyposalinity treatment on the entire tank.

2. Setup a second tank that you can keep the inverts and live rock in for 6 weeks straight without any fish while you do a 6 week hyposalinity treatment on the DT

3. Return the inverts and coral and treat the tank with a medication.

If you are sure that the fish has ich then there is really no way to know if your tank is going to be ich free or not a month or two down the road as one of the cysts might have already fallen off of the fish. Hyposalinity is the best way to treat ich but it has the downside of killing any corals or inverts. Here is a link to an article about treating it.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Old 11-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm going to take both the fish back tomorrow and just pray the ich hasn't spread to my tank... After all it has only been there for several hours. It seems lively and is not breathing abnormally so I may just have to hope for the best
Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
That's actually what happened to me with my first tank but sadly I stocked up on corals and inverts before the ich hit.

1. Return any inverts and the piece of live rock you have with the coral growing on it (assuming you care if it lives or not) and perform a hyposalinity treatment on the entire tank.

2. Setup a second tank that you can keep the inverts and live rock in for 6 weeks straight without any fish while you do a 6 week hyposalinity treatment on the DT

If you are sure that the fish has ich then there is really no way to know if your tank is going to be ich free or not a month or two down the road as one of the cysts might have already fallen off of the fish. Hyposalinity is the best way to treat ich but it has the downside of killing any corals or inverts. Here is a link to an article about treating it.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Or do the opposite of #2 and setup a second tank for the clowns that you can run at hypo salinity for 6 weeks while the dt sits fish less for those 6 weeks to kill the ich.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post

Or do the opposite of #2 and setup a second tank for the clowns that you can run at hypo salinity for 6 weeks while the dt sits fish less for those 6 weeks to kill the ich.
Also a good option. It's less painful to look at a tank without inverts for 6 weeks rather than a tank without fish for 6 weeks though mine was 5 weeks old when I had to deal with ich
Old 11-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

what is a hyposalinity treatment?
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Freak

I found info on a hyposalinity treatment.Nevermind
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lowering salt levels and keeping it there to kill it off
Old 11-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsy View Post
I'm going to take both the fish back tomorrow and just pray the ich hasn't spread to my tank... After all it has only been there for several hours. It seems lively and is not breathing abnormally so I may just have to hope for the best
That will possibly be enough but keep in mind.. all it takes is one single parasite to drop off. In the future ALWAYS QT your fish before putting them in the tank. Even if its your very first fish.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will have to sort a QT tank... What size do you think would be adequate?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com