New Reef Tank - Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I completely disagree with the reasoning behind keeping something like this. I have tossed kenya tree branches in a sump and it lived for years under just a curly-q energy saver bulb. I've also sat pieces in a container of water and left it there for a week with no flow, light, or heat, and it remained alive.
I would say it's the poorest gauge for water quality you can use.

Keeping this is no guarantee you can keep less hardy corals, which is what you will want anyway.
Brilliant barbs said "Keep it in the sand (as far away from rocks as possible!!!!!!)" because it's terribly invasive. It also kills most corals that come in contact with it.
Keeping this in your tank is no different than keeping aptasia anemones.

Wow, soo much hatred towards them. I've had mine for approximately 7 months now and like it more than I did the day I bought it. It grows quickly but hasn't come close to killing anything (my palythoas have tried eating it when it blew into their grip) and it's the very first thing I have that shows any deficiencies in my water parameters and was even an alert during the summer when the temperature was getting too high for the tank. Granted, I haven't had it for years but I don't see my views on it changing anytime soon.

If you like the look of that, I suggest Green Sinularia. It's somewhat similar, but brilliant green, and does not break off and blow all over the tank. Easy to keep, and easy to control.
here's a shot of some-
img_2741610_0_30b7edcb351ad28157c9c32b0d226e95.jpg

If you like the look of that, I suggest Green Sinularia. It's somewhat similar, but brilliant green, and does not break off and blow all over the tank. Easy to keep, and easy to control.
here's a shot of some-

How much flow does it require. I like the look of that piece. Sorry to hijack your thread. Is there an easy blue coral that will work in a 9 gallon nano with very little flow

How much flow does it require. I like the look of that piece. Sorry to hijack your thread. Is there an easy blue coral that will work in a 9 gallon nano with very little flow
Looking for color, or look? Blue mushrooms are easy just for the color. But if you want the branch look then I'm not sure if there are any blue softies like that... Mr_x probably knows one haha. I don't know much about softies because I barely have any. I have no experience.

Sorry, I misread Brilliant Barbs's comment. Something branchy? No. Not unless you go non-photosynthetic, which is extremely difficult, if not impossible to keep alive long term.

Hello all!!

It's been a while I know, and my tank is coming along swimmingly! But there is a slight problem! Skimmer micro bubbles garghhhhhh!!!
I've got the aqua one G216 proskim and the amount of bubbles it is kicking into the water is just insane! Any advice on how to get rid of it?!

Many thanks, Olly x

Hello all!!

It's been a while I know, and my tank is coming along swimmingly! But there is a slight problem! Skimmer micro bubbles garghhhhhh!!!
I've got the aqua one G216 proskim and the amount of bubbles it is kicking into the water is just insane! Any advice on how to get rid of it?!

Many thanks, Olly x

If you've had the skimmer for a while it should be broken in by now. Can you figure out where the bubbles are coming from? Meaning what the culprit is? There could be micro bubbles from different things.

Back
Top Bottom