New Reef Tank - Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wildsy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. I'm Olly! In the past I have had several tropical tanks including Community/Cichlid/Discus/L-Numbers &... I have finally decided to take to plunge and go for a reef tank after packing up the hobby just over a year ago. I will keep this thread up with the progress of my tank! It's a 120l Jewel Lido in White currently with a 1/2inch sand bed & 8.7kg of live rock (more to be added) it. Here we go!

Attachments

• image-2117022231.jpg
    image-2117022231.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 243
Just realised that picture isn't the best quality!

Here's another

Attachments

• image-2992647063.jpg
    image-2992647063.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 236
Thanks.

I've read different things at different places but is there a skimmer that anyone would/wouldn't reccomend? I've been told the Jewel ones to match and fit into the tank are terrible..?

I dont know much about this type of tank, but a general idea is that smaller tanks can get away with being skimmerless as long as you keep up with your weekly water changes. I didn't see much change on my 36 gallon from my skimmer in all honesty. But I have been told that these smaller all in one setups can do fine without one. If later on you want to add one, then I'd evaluate it at that time.
If you are wanting to have a reef, first evaluate your light in terms of what kind of coral you want to keep in it. Soft coral don't need much light, but LPS start becoming demanding of more intense light and SPS and anemone require high intensity lighting. Stock tank lighting usually just doesn't cut it.

The lights set up in this one is only T5 2 bulbs. Was thinking LED's but also need some advice! Willing to throw money into it if the outcome is worth it!!

Great! I've checked eBay UK and there isn't any unfortunately and the shipping will be ridiculous :sadface: they do look great though!

Tank is looking good. Im new here too. So welcome to the forum. Might I suggest a diy tank stand? It looks like the one in the pic is working overtime.

Also if its a glass tank the stand should at least match the footprint of the tank so equal pressure is applied

I have the juwel skimmer on my vision 260 some people like them and some dont personally I like my one and it does the job.

Welcome. I would suggest adding a bit more rock. Perhaps twice as much or more. Live rock will be your nitrate reducing filter and surface area for bacteria, and more can benefit you.

I think the op mentioned putting more rock in. But as usual Mr. X is right. I have a 9 gallon nano with 16 lbs of lr

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131124_091108.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131124_091108.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 176
Yes more LR is going in its just very expensive! I'm going for 13kgs so 30lbs ish!

Got more rock from the LFS tonight. Got all I need now and done my first ammonia test, and it's 0! So either the cycle in my tank hasn't started or it has finished! New rock has some great life on it too!

Attachments

• image-3114634543.jpg
    image-3114634543.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 154
  • image-621120190.jpg
    image-621120190.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 144
  • image-4142828616.jpg
    image-4142828616.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 154
Man! Yeah you should be proud of that rock. Crap thats nice. If you're not sure if you've cycled yet test your water daily. For another week. Make sure to test for trates and trites. Which will also give you a pretty good indication of how the cycle is come. And dont be alarmed if some of the green corralline algae turns white.

Okay thanks for that! Rock is still looking lovely! Plenty of critters too. Worms crabs shrimp ect! Nothing that's harmful though :))) I will. Thanks for the advice everyone, helping loads!

Also I was a bit anal about which bits I got. Had a really good look at every bit. Couple more minutes pays off!

Will take a full tank shot when I get home from the hospital too!

Back
Top Bottom