New reef tank setup...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sneaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
A co-worker gave me his full setup, tanks, filters, protien skimmer, powerheads, etc... it's a 30 gallon tank, I am going to put about 20lbs of live rock on top of 3 inches of sand, this is what I have in mind for the tank, please comment:

1 Mandarin, Green Goby
(Pterosynchiropus splendidus)

1 pair of Clarki Clowns

Some Banded Coral Shrimp
(Stenopus hispidus)

Scarlet Hermit Crabs

Mexican Turbo Snails

Maybe some Fan worms...

Does that sould like it will work?

What are some good reef fish, I would consider going with something else then the Clarki's

30lbs of live rock in a 30 gallon... any specfic reason? I might do that...

For your biological filtration, you should use the simple rule of thumb of 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of LR per 1 Gallon of water.

1 Mandarin, Green Goby
(Pterosynchiropus splendidus)

This fish will starve in your tank if you do ot have a large and fully matured refugium. They very rarely take to prepared foods and will wipe out the pod population in a mature dsb and LR for a 30g in a few weeks, after that they go hungry.

Clarkiis aren't really a problem, but you need to know they are one of the more aggressive of the clowns. If you decide to go with Clarkiis, I would add them last.

Some Banded Coral Shrimp
(Stenopus hispidus)

We have two of these guys and the one lost both arms and most of his feelers. The mean one also chases around the fire shrimp and the cleaner shrimp. Be aware that they don't play nice! 8O

As for the mandarin, we got one early in our setup and he's been doing fine, but we also have 200 pounds of rock for him to feast on. I would be weary of adding him right away. Although he's beautiful fish you had to keep in mind he probably will starve.

-Dan

This fish will starve in your tank if you do ot have a large and fully matured refugium. They very rarely take to prepared foods and will wipe out the pod population in a mature dsb and LR for a 30g in a few weeks, after that they go hungry.

Clarkiis aren't really a problem, but you need to know they are one of the more aggressive of the clowns. If you decide to go with Clarkiis, I would add them last.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So maybe just go with the Ocellaris's in the reef tank... What do you recommend for a bottom dwelling type fish for my setup?

nugrad2005 said:
As for the mandarin, we got one early in our setup and he's been doing fine, but we also have 200 pounds of rock for him to feast on. I would be weary of adding him right away. Although he's beautiful fish you had to keep in mind he probably will starve.

-Dan

Ok so I should wait about 6-8 months till I get one if I decide to? What do you think is a good amount of time?

Without a large refugium a 30g tank with LR will not sustain a mandarin.

As for a bottom dwelling fish, look into the scooter blennies, much less picky on what they eat and very interesting critters.

reefrunner69 said:
Without a large refugium a 30g tank with LR will not sustain a mandarin.

As for a bottom dwelling fish, look into the scooter blennies, much less picky on what they eat and very interesting critters.

Yeah your right, scooter's look really intresting... too bad about the mandarin, beautiful fish, it will have to wait till I get my 125gallon up and running.

Yeah your right, scooter's look really intresting... too bad about the mandarin, beautiful fish, it will have to wait till I get my 125gallon up and running.
Thats exactly right.

I would warn against the CBS also they are very territorial and most of the time dont get along well with other shrimp.

What do you think is a good amount of time?

Personally, never. A 30 gallon tank is not large enough to support the diet of a mandarin. I would sway from the this fish.

Back
Top Bottom