Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2003, 12:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New reef tank setup

I got a full 30 gallon tank setup from a co-worker fro $50 and I wanted to start a small reef tank so my question is will the filters still have the right bacteria to cycle the tank even though they have been dry and in storage?

Should I just count on starting a cycle from scratch?

Old 06-23-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, you will need to cycle the tank.

Old 06-23-2003, 12:39 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If they filters have been in storage then no the bactera will not be there. So yes your cycle will start from scratch.

Thats not nesseccarly a bad thing. Get the tank setup with your sand bed, and you could get 30lbs of live rock or decorate it however you want.

If you use live rock you dont need to shrimp method of cycling but if you dont bother with live rock then i would drop a raw shrimp in the tank to start the cycle.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am going to get 35-40lbs of live rock and some sand as well, is the cycle length any different as far as time from a fish only tank, should I count on the cycle being complete in about 1-2 months...? Or does a live rock-reef tank have different time cycle?
Old 06-23-2003, 04:49 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
They all cycle about the same...it'll depend on how much ammonia is added to the water from the curing LR. You should be done in 8 weeks max, but I'd still test for ammonia/nitrite instead of relying on a timetable. I've had tanks that were very slow to cycle and some that cycled very quickly. About 6 weeks is probably the average.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got 21lbs of standard Fiji live rock for a base, I will upload some pics later, when I get another $200 I will get some of the better Fiji live rock, about 20 more lbs. My LFS:

Standard Fiji 20lbs or more $4.99lb
Da good stuff 20lbs or more $8.99lb

This tank is already turning into an expense, at least I got the setup cheap...
Old 06-25-2003, 09:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

where are you getting the rock? check http://www.marinedepotlive.com and http://www.liveaquaria.com
Old 06-30-2003, 12:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

here are a couple pics of what I have so far, rock has been in there a week now...

Thanks for the links, I actually found these before and will probably order the rest fo the rock from either place, would it be bad to put 60lbs of LR in a 30 gallon tank?

Is there such thing as to much or a limit?
Old 06-30-2003, 01:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also, what is the best kind of LR? or is it a matter of preference?
Is it a bad idea to mix different types such as:
Kaelini Live Rock
Tonga Branch Live Rock
Tonga Deepwater Live Rock
Fiji Premium Live Rock

Tags
new reef tank, reef, reef tank, setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com