New reef tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sneaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a full 30 gallon tank setup from a co-worker fro $50 and I wanted to start a small reef tank so my question is will the filters still have the right bacteria to cycle the tank even though they have been dry and in storage?

Should I just count on starting a cycle from scratch?

If they filters have been in storage then no the bactera will not be there. So yes your cycle will start from scratch.

Thats not nesseccarly a bad thing. Get the tank setup with your sand bed, and you could get 30lbs of live rock or decorate it however you want.

If you use live rock you dont need to shrimp method of cycling but if you dont bother with live rock then i would drop a raw shrimp in the tank to start the cycle.

I am going to get 35-40lbs of live rock and some sand as well, is the cycle length any different as far as time from a fish only tank, should I count on the cycle being complete in about 1-2 months...? Or does a live rock-reef tank have different time cycle?

They all cycle about the same...it'll depend on how much ammonia is added to the water from the curing LR. You should be done in 8 weeks max, but I'd still test for ammonia/nitrite instead of relying on a timetable. I've had tanks that were very slow to cycle and some that cycled very quickly. About 6 weeks is probably the average.

I got 21lbs of standard Fiji live rock for a base, I will upload some pics later, when I get another $200 I will get some of the better Fiji live rock, about 20 more lbs. My LFS:

Standard Fiji 20lbs or more $4.99lb
Da good stuff 20lbs or more $8.99lb

This tank is already turning into an expense, at least I got the setup cheap...

here are a couple pics of what I have so far, rock has been in there a week now...

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

Thanks for the links, I actually found these before and will probably order the rest fo the rock from either place, would it be bad to put 60lbs of LR in a 30 gallon tank?

Is there such thing as to much or a limit?

Also, what is the best kind of LR? or is it a matter of preference?
Is it a bad idea to mix different types such as:
Kaelini Live Rock
Tonga Branch Live Rock
Tonga Deepwater Live Rock
Fiji Premium Live Rock

Back
Top Bottom