new refuge container question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased a 15 gallon tank to replace the plastic one I use for a refuge.

Question: When swap containers it will certainly mix up the 50 lbs of Southdown I have in it. Will this cause a cycle in the sump? And if so I guess Ill just not circulate the water into the main system until I get the ammonia spike.

Will this cause a cycle in the sump?

Yep, you can minimize it by trying to maintain your layers as much as possible. You can use a new plastic dustpan to remove the sand and if careful you can maintain the layers of your sand bed to a degree.

Good advise Kevin,

I have heard that before about the layers getting mixed up. I never thought of the dustpan trick thanks.

Would you recommend that I watch for an ammonia spike before I start to circulate it into the main system?

Would you recommend that I watch for an ammonia spike before I start to circulate it into the main system?

Yes, but I think your likely to get a spike in the tank even if you don't circulate it. It's quite possible the bioload is dependant on the fuge for a bit of nitrification ;) I'd just be ready with water for water changes.

Back
Top Bottom