New refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMPD109

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well since the HOB refuge was too big I decided to go and get an external unit. It is on its way from ebay of course. Since my tank is only a 28 I plan to put the heater, skimmer in the refuge as well.

Where should I put them? 1st chamber or the actual refuge or the return pump chamber. Any other helpful suggestions about the refuges are appreciatedTIA

I would suggest placing input to the Skimmer before the refugium and the heater just before the return pump chamber.

A lot of people place the heaters in the return chamber but that chamber will have the most unpredictable water level of any place in your system.

if you put the skimmer before the fuge you could get rid of the skimmer pump right? My skimmer is rated 295 gph and I am getting a Rio 2100 return which is approx 360 gph @ 4 ft. Would the skimmer slow down the supply too much?

Hannah(my daughter saw me typing and wanted in so she spelled her name)

The skimmer pump does more than just supply water. It also supplies microbubbles. There will be some bubbles in the water after a 4' drop but not enough. I believe you need to keep your pump.

The water supply for the refugium/sump should be coming from an overflow, not the skimmer.

I dont know what I was thinking. I know I need the pump for the venturi affect. I am just having a bad day I guess. I also did not refer back to my original post about the chambers. You suggested in the 1st chamber and I was thinking before the entire unit. Just not a good day for me. I understand 100% from your first post now. Thanks and KUDOS to you

Well I got the unit and am starting the set-up. Cant decide between DSB or the mineral mud. My main purpose of the fuge is nitrate reduction. I am planning on some chaeto and a DSB. Any comments about the mineral mud stuff.

Back
Top Bottom