New Refugium setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am in the process of setting up a refugium for my 40 gallon. Calerpa seems to be out of the question as I don't want to risk it going sexual on me. Plus, according to Bob Fenner, it seems that Calerpa is actual toxic to coral and can retard their growth.

So I am trying to figure out some alternative macro algaes. So far I have come up with Chaetomorpha and Halimeda as good macros. I know that Halimeda is an calcium encrusting algae, but I don't believe it will cause a serious drain on my Ca levels since I keep them up pretty well.

Some other possibilities are Syringodium Sp. and Thalassia sp. I am unfamiliar with the latter two. Anyone have any experience with these two in a refugium environment?

Any other possibilities for good macros?

I had the same dilema and went with the Chaetomorpha. I did some research and it seems like a good fit for my/your needs. I just floats at the bottom of the water and doesn't need to attach "roots" anywhere. I have read that it is very hardy as well.

Good luck,
Jim

I'm using chaeto too, got some from a mod on another forum for the price of shipping.

It does like plenty of light. I got one of those dinky 2x13watt coralife fixtures, made little brackets for it so it sits snugly on my CPR hang-on fuge. I could honestly put 2 of those fixtures on my fuge and that'd adequately light it....but my chaeto is doing ok.
a large clump floats and thus gets strong light. the other clump sits at the bottom, doesnt' grow much, nor does it die.
I should try to do some egg crate in there and raise it all up halfway for better lighting.

I just use 20 watt 6500K screw in PC bulb. I have tried the 75 watt grow bulbs as well. Both work good.

My fuge is about 20-25 gal and is mostly cheato and some calerpa. I have it on a reverse setting with my display. Nothing has went sexually yet and it has been up about 4-5 months. If I had to do it again, I would only use cheato. Easier to take care of.

Back
Top Bottom