New Results advice plz!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i just got new results from my tests of the water, is a .025 amonia really bad? I have a new tank it has been filtering for about 7 days, is .025 natural result? My amonia level was at 1.0 3 days ago and has dropped to .025....let me know also my nitrate level is at about 15...are these common first time setting up a saltwater tank and just need to know some expert advice!

thanks guys you have been very helpful so far!

If your tank has been running for 7 days, then yes the ammonia spike is normal. The fact that it's going down is a good thing - after that you'll have a nitrite/nitrate spike. It's not a good idea to add fish until after the cycle is complete (another month or so).

Check out this link http://www.bestfish.com/newtank3.html

thanks for the input and the site, my question is that my amonia was at 1.0 and is now close to zero, so has my ammonia already peaked and is dropping? My nitrite is undetectable and my nitrate is climbing slowly....my test dosent show any nitrite trace and according to that site i should be noticing it??? I only have about 2 snails in there now, should i possibly get a "cheap fish" and see how it does? The chart at the site is telling about fish "stress" so what shall i do?

It is not safe to put fish int he tank as of yet... The fact that the ammonia is dropping is a sign that the cycle is in full swing and you will see Nitrite appear. How did you introduce the ammonia in the tank? Dead shrimp, fish tht died? just wondering... I feel that you have a few weeks to go though... Also, what do you have in the tank as far as substrate and rock go?

The nitrites normally rise as the ammonia drops....do not add fish until the readings are ZERO

honestly i dont know how the ammonia was introduced...i have 50lbs of live rock, and about 3in of live sand. i dont have anything in there that is dead, so i wouldnt know and for the readings being ZERO shouldnt i always have a trace of nitrate?

Back
Top Bottom