New Rio Powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJCRIC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone used or seen a new Rio powerhead? I just came back from the LFS and he was showing me a picture of a new powerhead Rio has out it claims to be great on wavemakers etc. It is suppose to have a Stainless steel shaft instead of porcelain. The LFS said his supplier doesn't carry them yet so he was going to order them direct and try them in the store to see if they were any good before he puts them on the shelf. He's good like that....

I have not. A google search did not turn up anything either.

If they can keep from having such bad problems with their power heads and maintain the price point it would be a good thing. Although its gonna take alot to debunk their bad rep.

Most of them suck, occasionally you get one that slips through quality control and is actually decent. I've got a rio 400 that I've been using on a wavemaker for over a year, and had been in service for me several years ago for a couple or three years.

I know the Rio's have always been terrible on wavemakers. The way the picture looked like the shaft was stainless and there were magnets glued to it. I guess I will let the LFS get them and test them in the store first. What would you recommend to put on a wave maker? I had 2 Aqua-Clear's that died after about 3 months. and I have 2 pro 4's that have been great but are not very powerful only about 400 Gph I am looking for something between 500-700 gph. Any Idea's.

what are the problems with rio's....I have 2 of em...what can I expect with these guys?

Within the past year I have seen at least half a dozen occasions on forums other than here where Rio's have not only failed but had an apparent "meltdown". This includes wonderful aromas and leaking some sort of liquid. 8O

HoopsGuru said:
Within the past year I have seen at least half a dozen occasions on forums other than here where Rio's have not only failed but had an apparent "meltdown". This includes wonderful aromas and leaking some sort of liquid. 8O

As have I. I think the impeller shaft is the least of your worries when using a RIO. :D

Great...what are some good alternatives? maybe I will get a new one and throw that one in my qt tank and use it to cycle some new LR.

IMO Maxijets are the best PH out there. They have a solid construction with great alternitives as far as attaching it to the tank. The flow rates are very good and they are extremly easy to clean.

Does MaxiJet make one that is 500-700 GPH? All the ones I see are smaller than that. If so what is the model?

I belive maxijet max's out at the maxijet 1200 that pushes 295GPH. If you need something that pushe's that much water then I would classify it more as a water 'pump' vs a powerhead.

RIO offers both water pumps and powerheads. For a good quality water PUMP look at the mag drive product line.

I have been using Hagen Aqua Clears with no trouble. Like many others I learned the hard way about Rio's. Sorry they are just plain garbage.

Hmmm dont know if i should say anything in this post :lol: I have always used RIO's and have had great sucess. About the stainless steel shaft i know its not that its a titanium shaft. Although I have heard great things on Mag-drives except they a little loud. I know a guy that has had one for 3 years and its still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom