New RO/DI system set up and very nice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Finally got my RO/DI system in (got this one http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-MAXIM...ryZ20684QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
and wow....have it hooked up to my ice maker in my frige in my garage and it makes clear ice LOL not cloudy....what a difference.
anywho....plan to do a few water changes over the next few weeks to hopefully cycle out all the old water to replace with fresh new RO/DI saltwater - do I need to do for the full amount of the gals inmy tank.
I have a 90 gal....plan to do about 10 gal water changes....so I would need to do this 9 times?? the reason why is Im having some algy issue and hope this will help.
i dont have many critters makin a huge bio load....but plan to get some more and want to make sure my water parameters are excellent
any recommendations?

Just do normal water changes. 10gal a week won't replace all 90 gals in 9 weeks.
why not?

because after the first w/c, you'll be removing some of the new and some of the old water, and hte more water changes you do to put new water in, the less of the old gets removed.

so just do normal w/c and over time everything will correct itself.

I love math problems, if you did 10 gallons over 9 weeks, you would still have 34% old water in there if my math is correct. It will take almost 40 weeks to truly get rid of all the old water.

Remember if you replace 10% of your water with new, 90% will be old. The next week you will replace 10% more of your water so then you will be removing 10% of your new water and 10% of your old. So then you would have about 81% old, 19% new. The longer it goes, the less old water you will remove each time.

FYI, here's the schedule for different gallons for your size tank to get it to 10%
15G - 13 weeks
20G - 9 weeks
25G - 7 weeks

hey just curious i was thinking about buying that very samething. how does that water ppm tester work ???

lol....dont have a clue...havent tried it yet
but the clear ice is a good sign that its working and it was pretty easy to hook up

You would never remove all of the old water, it is like a radioactive half-life. However after a few weeks the amount of original water would be so low it would be negligable.

A TDS meter or ppm meter, sends electrical current between two poles, and measures the electrical resistance, the amount of resistance depends on the amount of dissolves solids.

Bought that same unit and hooked it up Sunday. We have some nasty water out here but the good thing is that we have high pressure. Water pressure is 70 - 72psi. At that high of pressure I initially had 7 leaks. After 3 days of constant assembly/disassembly, and much use of Teflon Tape, I finally have it leak proof!
It's a big relief to not have to carry 20 -25 gallons of water every week from the grocery store. :)

Smo said:
Bought that same unit and hooked it up Sunday. We have some nasty water out here but the good thing is that we have high pressure. Water pressure is 70 - 72psi. At that high of pressure I initially had 7 leaks. After 3 days of constant assembly/disassembly, and much use of Teflon Tape, I finally have it leak proof!
It's a big relief to not have to carry 20 -25 gallons of water every week from the grocery store. :)

I feel your pain and know how great life can be once you have an RO system setup. Where in 'Zona are you?

i hooked mine up and no leaks....running 2 weeks and no leaks :)
my issue is i think my water pressure is abit low but enough to do its job :)
takes forever to fill a 5 gal jug though

Back
Top Bottom